1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plow wont do anything!

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by jamartz, Jul 18, 2008.

1. jamartz

jamartz Member

Ok, So I bought this truck and plow last week. 99 Dodge 2500 with an 8'2 power V on it. when I went to pick it up the owner said he was having an issue with one of the wings not retracting but that he took the valve out cleaned it and it started working again. It was working when I left with the truck.

No biggie to me, so I get it home, everthing is working fine, untill I needed to put the plow in scoop position for it to fit between the gates on my drive. When i get through I go to retract the blade back to vee position- Left side retracted fine, Right side wont come back at all. So i lower the blade, take the cover off, pull the coil and valve out clean it re install them, raise the blade and push the switch to retract the wing..........................nothing......................so I go to lower the blade.....................................nothing...............................blade will do absolutly nothing now!

Any ideas? Is there a fuse somewhere I may have blown?

2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

How long was the plow sitting?

3. jamartz

jamartz Member

Since about middle of march he said. Just hooked it up when I bought the truck last week.

4. grandview

Try this. Raise the plow spray some Fluid Film or wd40 on the pistons get some grease in the center pin ,the one that holds the wings together, have some hold the button and move it back in. Then use the control to extend it back out ,there may be an air bubble in the line. Watch your toes!!!!!!!!!!!!!

5. jamartz

jamartz Member

I will definatly give that a shot. BTW grandview, your websit is really cool, wsh I had one that nice for my roofing company!

6. jamartz

jamartz Member

Just tried your sugestion grandview and it was to no avail. None of the functions work, pump doesn't even try to run. But thanks for the quick response and sugestion.

7. nobletousha13

nobletousha13 Senior Member
    from VA

try this

just to make sure you have now func. at all or you don't have the right wing and/or lower working.
    -the lower and wing retract func. do not need any motor or hyd. power. The only thing you need is 12V going to the controller. the only thing they need is gravity or the spring (for the wing). I would definitely check the wiring make sure nothing cam off and make sure everything is in the right spot. make sure the 13 or 11 pin (big plug) is clean, is not missing and/or is not corroded; plus make sure you don't have to much grease around the pins. If all the wiring looks great I would then check for magnetism on the black coils lower is the middle on horz. one looking right at you and the right wing (passenger side) would be the black coil on the passenger side of the block. When you operate the controller for the func. the coil should magnetize. If the coil does not magnetize them check for corrosion on the nut and coil and check to make sure there is a good metal on metal contact between the valve and the manifold. Please do not over tighten the nut as it will cause more bad than good. We need to make sure that you have 12V to the wire going to the coil. If your driver side still works then use that wire and put it to the lower and/or the passenger side coil (it should reach). Obviously when you hit the driver side func. you get the other result. To make sure your other wires work (passenger side and lower), put them on the driver side coil to make sure that when you hit the passenger side and lower coil controller func. that you get the func.(remember we are only checking to make sure you are getting 12V though the wire) If you determine that you do have 12V then you need to re clean the valves and make sure there isn't any crap in them. It wouldn't hurt to change the fluid and make sure you have good fluid in the system.

I know I said alot of stuff. Let us know what happens when you try certain things. We'll point you the correct way (hopefully)

8. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Noble has most of it covered but let me add just a little more...:waving:

Do the turn/headlights on the plow work?

If the wings won't even retract, then you either don't have power to the controller (do you?) or the plow itself has no ground, in which case you want to check the power cable connecting plug for a good connection and the multi pin connector pins.

There should be two 10 amp fuses in the harness. One should be in the black/red controller power wire inside the truck wherever it's connected into a 12V ignition hot source (fuse panel usually).

The other one is in the small red wire that should be connected to the + battery terminal under the hood.

9. jamartz

jamartz Member

I will check these things over this weekend. B&B......headlights do work, but none of the plow functions do. Right now the plow is in the raised position, right wing out, left wing in. Left wing will not extend out, either which makes me think of a fuse or maybe the selenoid und the hood? i will let you all know what i find! Thanks for the help and sugestions!

10. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Ok check it out and report back with your findings...sure sounds like the controller isn't sending the signals out to the plow for one of the reason or another. Might want to start with checking the red/black power wire for power to the controller first.

Note: A defective underhood solenoid wouldn't prevent the wings from retracting or the plow from lowering, so don't spend much time there. :)

11. Bossman 92

Bossman 92 PlowSite.com Addict

I can't believe Grandview even mentioned wd 40!! :realmad:

:cool: Bossman

12. grandview

He's new and has to take baby steps first!

13. bosslover

bosslover Member

this happened to me and it ended up my controller took a **** i brought to my local boss dealer and replaced the insides and it works great

14. jamartz

jamartz Member

Well, I got chance to do some looking tonight. I did find a blown fuse, but I didn't have one to replace it with so I will let you know if it fixes it tomorrow.

Thanks for the sugggestions, nice to know there is place to come for some help!

15. 06HD BOSS

06HD BOSS 2000 Club Member

WHAT!! :eek:

16. toby4492

toby4492 2000 Club Member

&%>*@! :realmad:

What Hell !!

I bet it hurt to just even say that. :dizzy:

17. 06HD BOSS

06HD BOSS 2000 Club Member

Hey as long as you say it and dont spray it! xysport

18. grandview

Well you guys are from the mid west and may not of heard of FF, being that you 50 yrs behind everyone else.:D

Last edited: Jul 21, 2008
  19. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Ahhh but Fluid Film has been around longer than WD-40....about 10 years longer. :nod:

20. grandview

I'll quote myself. If he starts with only the best he has nothing more to look forward too.