1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plow wont completely lower

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by santelikk, Nov 19, 2007.

1. santelikk

santelikk Member

I finished the install of an ultra mount onto my truck.

All the functions of the plow work, except when I lower the plow. I press the lower button, and the float light comes on. The plow is about 2" off the ground. I can press on the blade and the cyclinder will compress the rest of the way and the plow will hit the ground.

Is the quill out of adjustment??
  2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

The quill wont stop the plow from dropping unless it's turned all the way in...and if it was it wouldn't lower at all, rather than it stopping it in mid drop. Sound's more like the packing nut on the lift cylinder is a little too tight. Try backing it off about a 1/4 turn and see if it will then drop. (If it fixes the problem, you may need to tighten it back up a bit after some use if this is a brand new install).
  3. santelikk

santelikk Member

Where is this packing nut you are talking about??

Is it the gland nut on the ram?
  4. sechracer

sechracer Senior Member

That would be the one he is talking about. Right at the top of the motor. bottom of the ram......
  5. santelikk

santelikk Member

I'll check it out. This is a used plow, although I don't think it was ever used, there is not a scratch on this plow. The nut/bolt that the shoe stand rotates on was so tight, that I could not even budge the shoes. The monkey would have never been able to attach this plow.