1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plow Won't Budge

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by benson, Jan 13, 2010.

1. benson

benson Junior Member

It's a 8'6" Fisher MM and the plow won't angle or lift. I have cleaned all the connections over, swapped the controller with a spare and the fuse is okay. All the hoses and seals are okay, the fluid is topped up as well. Any help or suggestions is appreciated. Thanks.

2. LON

LON Senior Member

one word - motor! Brushes may be hung up in their holders. Seen this on 1 Western & 1 Fisher this year

3. LON

LON Senior Member

did you check for 12v at the motor power stud?

4. stillen

stillen Senior Member

it's HAMMER time...

no seriously.... go give that motor a tap with a mallet or hard instrument... not hard just a few taps......

5. Storsy23

Storsy23 Member

can u hear the motor still working?

6. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

Is the solenoid clicking, could be that

7. buddymanzpop

buddymanzpop Senior Member

Solenoid is bad or motor is bad.

8. benson

benson Junior Member

No clicking at all and the controller doesn't even light up either.

9. buddymanzpop

buddymanzpop Senior Member

Get a test light and start checking for power, start with the controller box power feed,(red wire from control harness tapped into power feed from vehicle fuse box) also check at the solenoid to make sure your getting constant power from the battery to one side of the solenoid.

10. RepoMan207

RepoMan207 PlowSite Fanatic
    from Maine

Run a solenoid test. take a momentary wire and jump the two big studs on the solenoid. Does the plow motor engage?

11. benson

benson Junior Member

I'm not getting any power at the positive stud on the motor. I still think the motor is okay, it's just not getting any power.

There is constant power to the one side of the solenoid, and there is power to the red wire that is tapped in.

Installed a new solenoid and still no luck.

Nothing happens. Controller still won't light up and the motor doesn't engage.

Thanks for the input. Does anybody have any other thoughts?

12. plowguy43

I think you have a bad ground. If your jumping the solenoid (after you replaced it) and nothing is happening, then your ground is probably no good. Either that or I'd think there is something gone in your harness.

I'm no expert but have had to deal with a good amount of this stuff as well and understand how these things work now much better than I ever did before- just like you will after you figure out what is wrong.

13. plowguy43

You may want to check the fused wire going to your controller for power as well.

14. RepoMan207

RepoMan207 PlowSite Fanatic
    from Maine

Take a set of jumpers and run them direct to the plow motor off from the SOLENOID (ground to ground / pos to pos.)....Does it work? If so, the battery harness has an issue somewhere.

If it doesn't work, then you should run a control harness & Controller test. Does your controller light up?