1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

plow wont angle

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by dennisf, Dec 7, 2002.

1. dennisf

dennisf Junior Member

plow is stuck angle all the way to right can anyone tell me what i need to do to fix this.there is power from the solenoids thank you.;)

2. sno-mover

sno-mover Senior Member

I would check the fluid, there may be air in the system, but push it up aginst a curb and try to angle it at the same time, it should un stick.
    Good luck

3. chrisby316

chrisby316 Senior Member

did you check the hydraulic fluid?

4. #1 plowtech

#1 plowtech Senior Member

Its odd that its stuck to the right. If you were to energize the motor with out doing anything else,its natural function will always go to the left. Sooooo, take jumper cables and put one on + battery terminal,and put the other on the + motor, if it goes to the left, a) it tells you your couplers are ok,(remove jumper cable) B) if you hit your switch to the left and motor does not run you have a bad switch. Try this first b4 we go any further to keep it simple. it will only take you a couple of minutes to check. Good luck PT.:waving:

5. citybobcat

citybobcat Junior Member
    from NYC

Check your hydraulic fittings on the plow it might not be connected right and it could be stopping the flow of oil!
    I had that happen to me on one of my fisher's it looked like it was right and it didn't leak s pull them apart and put it back together it might be it good luck:)

6. Hawkz

Hawkz Member

Is your switch getting power, if not then it might be your fuse. It may be blown. I am not sure how yours is hooked up? On mine I wired it into the fuse box and one day it did the same thing you described, I checked everything over and low and behold it was the little friggin fuse. My plow is a Western Pro plow, 7'6. Thought that I would try to help- Later, Hawkz

7. JCurtis

JCurtis Banned

Could be a dirty or damaged quick connect coupling on the angle ram line.

8. dennisf

dennisf Junior Member

well thank everyone for there input this is where i am at today i added fluid i put power to the pump motor.what i did notice was ther seems to be pressure built up on right disconnect coupling.i was thinking tommorow i would replace the coupling on the right side.i can buy a replacement couplings and two new hoses.and see if that does the trick any other suggestion would be greatly apreciated thanks again for your help dennisf.:confused:

9. digger242j

digger242j Senior Member

Well, I spent the afternoon troubleshooting angling problems on 2 of our E-60 units.

The first one had me wondering. It would angle just fine to the right, but the only way it would angle left was to push it into a pile of snow. It would come back pretty freely that way. I switched plows, putting the spare one on the truck, to make sure that the problem wasn't in the cylinders. The spare acted the same way. Before I started tearing into the power unit itself I noticed that one of the quick couplers--the one that supplies the cylinder for angling left--wasn't looking too healthy. On the female half of the connector, the spring that pushes the collar forward to lock the connection together was sticking out behind the collar, and most of the little round bearings that hold the connection together were missing. As soon as I replaced that the thing worked normally. What had seemed like it would be a tricky one to figure out turned out to be simple.

The one I thought would be simple was the tricky one. Plow only angled left--here's a no-brainer. It's either the C coil, C valve, or an electrical problem in the switch or wires, right?

I should mention that before it stopped angling right altogether it was hesitant to angle right--it would move six inches or a foot then stop as if it were jamming somehow, then buck back to the left an inch or so. If you tried to angle it right again it would do the same thing. To get it all the way to the right you had to push the button five or six times.

Anyway, I ended up removing and testing the C valve which seemed ok, putting a new C coil on made it work normally. Problem solved, I thought. I worked it back and forth five or six times and satisfied myself that I had it fixed. Went to center the blade to park the truck and darned if it didn't do the same thing again. Having had a bad quick connector once already today, I figured that would be the next likely candidate. I switched the male side of the connector that supplies the cylinder for right angling (it was the easier of the two to switch, so I started with it), and the thing worked normally.

Thinking I'd wasted a C coil, I reinstalled the original one and found that it was indeed bad. I'm wondering if the bad hydraulic connection caused me to abuse the C coil to the point that it failed? Either way, it gets a lot trickier to diagnose problems when you have one sitting on top of another...

Dennis, With the blade angled all the way one way, and something preventing it from angling the other way, you'd *expect* there to be pressure in that side--the side where the cylinder is extended. Of the two I replaced today, one connector was in the line to extended cylinder, and the other one was in the retracted one. Good luck....

P.S. You might get some more definite opinions if you tell us exactly what type of unit you have there. Also, most of these problems have been discussed before. A search might turn up the exact answer to your question....

10. dennisf

dennisf Junior Member

crossover relief valve

on a meyers e60 how would i get to the crossover relief valve?how could i get a schematic of this?thanks dennisf

11. Garagekeeper

Garagekeeper Senior Member

Meyer Problems

Dennis; don't go ripping that pump apart so fast. If your sure that you have power to the coil for the C-valve then check as follows. Take the C-valve out of your power unit, check the outside around the stem of the valve. Is it bloated? These valves can and do get damaged before the plow can go into crossover when you have made hard impact with a curb or snow bank with the blade angled. Slip the coil over the stem and ground the valve while hooking the coil wire up to a power source, does the valve operate? It should click when you apply power, and "spit" some fluid out the more you operate it. If not you more that likely have found your problem. And don't forget to check your couplers as the others have mentioned. :rolleyes: John

12. DJ Contracting

DJ Contracting PlowSite.com Addict

Hey when you say $240.00 - $300.00 is that for the season meaning that you get paid @ the start of the season with a contract I bill my res. after the snow fall some pay right away some pay after two weeks but i have to say that i have not run into anybody that has not payed and i have been plowing since 98 :gunsfiring:

13. Robhollar

Robhollar Senior Member

Dont rule out a bad B valve....Rob