1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plow won't angle... Service questions....

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by TWrench, Feb 13, 2008.

1. TWrench

TWrench Junior Member

Just got the plow working again after a connector pin issue, and this morning (-15 F) the angle won't work. Worked last night just fine. Tried this morning, and it tries (read: solenoid clicks, plow moves a little bit, then stops... can hear the pump laboring). Finally after it warmed up a little it started working. It seems to move slow too. I think there might just be water in the fluid. I bought it used and have never checked it (yeah, I know... dumb:() Read up on the procedure online in the Western literature, but it is a little vague about how to safely clear the fluid from the angle cylinders without introducing air into them. Can someone give me a quick and dirty guide to changing the fluid on an Ultramount 7'6" straight blade plow setup? Thanks!

2. sechracer

sechracer Senior Member

Take the fill plug out of the top and drain plug out of the bottom of the pump.... Disconnect the angle hoses from the pump and place them in a container. with the blade in the air ( I set mine on a block so I can fully collapse the lift cylinder before I start) angle the blade left and right by hand to remove old fluid. Hook hoses back up and refill pump. once full power angel left and right a few times to remove air from the rams and hoses (yes, it works itself out). Recheck fluid level, and top it off. Your done.

Note: Do not over fill the pump. Make sure lift cylinder is fully collapsed when you fill the pump and that you only fill it to the fill hole on the side.

Hope this helps.
    Tom