1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plow wont angle right

Discussion in 'Meyer / Diamond Products Discussion' started by go wyo, Nov 11, 2010.

1. go wyo

go wyo Junior Member

I just bought a 1986 Chevy k30 with an older meyer plow and e47 pump. The pump goes up and down with no problem, however I angled the plow completely left and now it won't go back to the right. Checked the fluid and topped it off. I can hear the pmp running/trying to move it back. I can also see it move a little more to the left when I push the lever right. Any ideas?

2. JR Snow Removal

JR Snow Removal Senior Member

It is a solenoid/valve problem I believe it is called the C solenoid (has a green wire). It opens the valve to let the fluid pass thru to go in to the other cylinder. I have went thru many of these until I got a boss.

3. go wyo

go wyo Junior Member

How do I fix it? Replace or other?

4. JR Snow Removal

JR Snow Removal Senior Member

I usually replaced the valve and the solenoid I believe they are around $70 (been awhile since I have done it) one way to check if the solenoid is working is to take it of the valve, take the wire and touch it to the positive side of a battery (truck battery) and if you can get it to click every time you touch it the solenoid is good, if it doesn't at all or it misses its junk. On the valve itself the spot where the solenoid slides on look to see if there are any imperfections kind of like it started melting and that the solenoid slides over easily and not tight spots. I myself always replaced both but kept the old parts.

5. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

GO WYO give Maxey in Fort Collins a call, worst case you drive down there with the plow on the truck and they fix.
    I had them do pre season flush/service on my set up 2 weeks ago, it ran $95.00, included the oil and took about an hour to do. For a piece of mind at 3am I think it's worth it.

6. JCByrd24

JCByrd24 Senior Member
    from Maine

One thing to check before the valve, sometimes if a plow had enough wear it can angle too far and the compressed cylinder will actually block the fluid port. To check this, raise plow, disconnect angle cylinders from E47 and connect the to each other, manually move the plow away from full angle, rehook angle hoses to E47, then try going right. I believe you can check the coils without removing them. Have a helper operate the controls while you hold a screwdriver or something else metal near the end of the coil. Upon activation there should be magnetism.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2010
  7. go wyo

go wyo Junior Member

Actually tried to do that and it wouldn't move. I hooked a come along to the left side try and pull it in and it moved a little but fluid was leaking out of the fitting on the compressed ram. It was also very difficult to get it move and it only moved maybe 6 inches and I wasn't willing to pull any more for fear of the pulleys snapping.

I'm thinking there must be something clogging/blocking the fluid from transfering.

8. EvenCutLawnCare

EvenCutLawnCare Senior Member

It shouldnt be that difficult to move. You have an issue inside your pump

9. JCByrd24

JCByrd24 Senior Member
    from Maine

If I'm understanding him right, he disconnected the pump and cross connected the angle cylinders and could not move with a come along, so this has nothing to do with the pump. I would guess a bad quick disconnect on one of the angle cylinders. Next step is to remove quick connects and see if cylinders are free to move, remove them all together if you have to. It does take some effort to move them, but you shouldn't need a come-a-long. After that look for binding in the sector/a-frame/etc.

10. EvenCutLawnCare

EvenCutLawnCare Senior Member

You're right. Ive been up too long

11. go wyo

go wyo Junior Member

Tried to take the hose off the stuck ram and the fitting sheared off at the elbow. Put a new hose on and reconnected it and it works like a charm. Thanks for all the help guys.

12. JEFFERY MAURER

JEFFERY MAURER Junior Member

we had a lot of the same problems we would check are presures what we found out was we were getting bad quick connects it would go to the left and would not come back to the right you can adjust the spring tension on the quick conects they come apart.

13. go wyo

go wyo Junior Member

Good to know. Thanks for the tip.