1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plow wont angle left or right after install help !

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by duramax-king, Dec 17, 2011.

1. duramax-king

duramax-king Senior Member

Hey guys i just finished installing a 8.6 western MVP uni mount plow and i go to try it out and it will go into scoop and vee as well as each wing will move by itself but it the wings don't want to move together to angle left or right ? I've tried 3 controller's and its all the same. Can anyone help with this ?

2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

It's not shifting the S5 valve. Most likely electrical related so check it's coil for magnetism first and I suspect it will not have any. So the next step is to go over the blue/orange wire and it's connections all the way back through the harness until you find the issue on it. And remember, the MVP's use ground to command the coils, not power like most plows so if you're using a test light to check the blue/orange be sure you're set up to check for ground, not power.

3. duramax-king

if it wasn't shifting the S5 valve wouldn't it not want to go into scoop/vee or move the wing independently ?

4. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

S5 is for locking the wings together for angling only, it isn't used for any other function, L wing in/or, R wing in/out etc. Therefore when it fails to shift you lose L and R angling functions only and all others work fine.

5. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

If this is the old style V and not the new MVP + then I would suspect you may have mixed up the wires in the canon plug at the base of the controller cable. If it is an MVP + have a look at the fuses behind the black plastic shrowd covering the valve block assembly. There are fuses on both sides.

So is this a brand new MVP+ or a "new to you" MVP regular plow?

6. duramax-king

Its the regular MVP uni mount style, will check those connections for the S5 today thanks guys

7. duramax-king

Hey guys didnt get a chance to check those cables as was busy today but had to move the truck and notice when i move the wings seperatly into a straight blade position then try to angle it, it angles either way ? Maybe that might help ? I'm going to check those cables tomorrow.

8. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

Have a look at the mechanic's guide http://library.westernplows.com/westernplows/pdf/28270.00_070105.pdf page 33 shows the pinout for the plug. There is a little tool for removing the wires without cutting them. Check the colors against the table and if you have a couple mixed up go to the Western dealer and ask for one of those tools. Here in Canada we have a place called Princess Auto that sells a nice little electrical connector dissasembly tool but I don't expect you have that store where you are.

9. duramax-king

Checked the pins at the plug and they are all good, going on to check the magnetism on the solenoid now,

10. duramax-king

11. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Have a helper angle it back and forth while you hold a metal object (wrench or screwdriver) near the top of the coil. If you don't feel the coil pulling on the object then it doesn't have magnetism.

12. duramax-king

Ok, what if the coil doesn't have any magnetic pull ? what if it does ?

(sorry for asking ahead of time just wanted to get this problem straightened out tomorrow latest)

13. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

If it doesn't have mag then the coil is faulty, or more likely there's no signal to it (thus a wiring problem) from the controller as I mentioned before, so you'll need to go through the wiring.

If you find it actually does have mag then the wiring and coil are doing their job and it's an issue with the valve itself, which will require removing it from the manifold and checking it's internal spool valve for movement by hand by stroking it with a small pick or screwdriver.

But 95% of the time it's a lack of signal to the coil due to a wiring issue.

14. duramax-king

Great thanks B&B, will check those tomorrow and hopefully can track down the problem !