1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plow won;t raise, goes left instead...?

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by wildbl1500, Jan 20, 2010.

1. wildbl1500

wildbl1500 Senior Member

Hey guys I did a quick search and couldn't find anything relating to this issue, but I swear I have read it somewhere before....

This morning I was doing my own driveway and the plow would lift, it goes left instead. I tried it again and it worked. I went up the road to my uncle's, it did the same thing only more frequently. I put some dielectric grease on the plow-to-truck plugs and verified my fluid was full. I can't find any broken wires or weak spots. at the next job it didn't want to drop. I tried again and it worked. I did buy my joystick controller used 3 seasons ago.

Any suggestions? I am leaning to buying a new controller after work today.

Thanks.

2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Both of those symptoms together are a classic sign of an S2 valve stuck in the open position. A good cleaning may resolve it but a replacement may be in order.

3. Philbilly2

Philbilly2 2000 Club Member

2nd that. B&B is most likley right. Clean or replace S2 and you should be good.

There is a slim chance that it could be in the controller, but for every one time that I have seen the controller go bad, I have seen 40 times that a valve is stuck.

4. wildbl1500

wildbl1500 Senior Member

ok, so do I just unscrew it and wipe it down? I am a novice at hydraulics.

I knew someone would have an answer. I am glad no one was open at 5am so I didn't drop some $ on a controller.

5. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Throwing parts at a problem is never a good solution.:nono: Particularly if you are (as you say) a novice at hydraulics, fixing them is not hard, it's knowing what to fix/replace that's the key. It can be cheaper to pay a professional then to start blanket parts replacement. This is a perfect example, you can buy a S2 valve and pay someone to install it for less then the cost of a new controller.

You need to clean it with ether or a comparable cleaner, check to see that the piston moves freely, has good o-rings and the spring is in good condition.

But I would replace it, you do not need it repeating it's behavior mid-storm.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2010
  6. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

They are about $40 and just unscrew out. Very simple repair- mine did the same thing, I cleaned it and it went away, but its starting again. I'm just going to replace it this time.

7. wildbl1500

wildbl1500 Senior Member

Ok, so i take the cover off and just unscrew the middle unit? Is any fluid going to leak out? I did find one place with S2s in stock, but I wasn't able to get to Lewiston on my lunch break and he closes at 6pm. :(

So, if it is not too intense, I plan to pull the cartridge out in the parking lot after work, clean it and throw it back in. Then, tomorrow I go to the supply place, Traction, and get the cartridge for $45. And do the replacement on my day off.

8. plowguy43

Napa sometimes has them but they want $70 who had them for $45 in lewiston?

9. wildbl1500

wildbl1500 Senior Member

This place called Traction. Two other parts places told me about them, but 411 didn't have a listing. I had to google it- they are on Lincoln St. I guess it used to be called Brake Service?

10. RepoMan207

RepoMan207 PlowSite Fanatic
    from Maine

Very simple indeed. Napa....They usually have one on the shelf. I know Auburn does and there open until 8 or so.

Remove cover, remove wires, remove jam nut, remove coil, remove cartridge. Easy Cheesy.

I would leave it in until you have the replacement. I think it's part number 66608....stamped with SV08-31 on the collar. I think I paid around $63 for mine at traction last year.....had a mishap while rebuilding the pump.

s2.jpg

s2.jpg

11. wildbl1500

wildbl1500 Senior Member

Napa told me they didn't carry it, but the woman on the phone was not the sharpest tool in the shed... I guess I will check there tonight in person.

12. RepoMan207

from Maine

If you asked by part number, I wouldn't be surprised, there cross reference on plow stuff sucks to say the least. I bought one up there about a year ago for my friends setup. That's not to say they may have done away with the plow stuff this year. I know Windham still carries them, I just saw them last week when I was in there.

I try to avoid Brake Services/Traction as much as I can. How does anyone become a dealer if they won't install or service them? Crazy really. The GM place in Auburn by WD Mathews sells more Fisher plows then Traction, and there not even a legitimate dealer. lol.

Good luck, I'll look forward to yur outcome.

13. RacingZR

RacingZR Senior Member
    from Maine

I got a price from Traction and they were like $600 more than anyone else on a +/- $5000 plow :laughing: Good to know they have the parts at a good price though!
    Hopefully you get it fixed. Sounds like a simple fix, but if you get stranded let me know.
    Have a Dodge with a plow too.........will plow anything :laughing::waving:

14. wildbl1500

wildbl1500 Senior Member

Well, Napa in Auburn didn't have any- they only stock basic stuff now. So, I will go to Traction on my lunch break tomorrow. After all my running around during my lunch break today with no results, the plow didn't act up once after work! I usually get parts from Emerson Chevy, but they sold their last S2 yesterday.

The guy at Napa told me there is another place on river road in Lewiston- K& something... He called the guy while I was there and he had a few S2s in stock as well, but was not going to be "open" until tomorrow...

Thanks for all your help guys! I appreciate it.

15. wirenut

wirenut Senior Member
    from nh

i'd try to straighten that out, bet it would work.just dont crush it....
    but i dont throw anything away...:rolleyes:

16. wildbl1500

wildbl1500 Senior Member

I went to Traction today, got the valve- $39.29 with tax. Don't know how the other guy that set it aside for me got $45 that he told me on the phone yesterday. I'll have to verify it is the right one and get this wrapped up tomorrow or Saturday.

Again, thanks for all your help guys.

17. plowinginma

plowinginma Senior Member
    from MA

LOL did ya drop it on the floor??? thats bent perty good.. and thats not a 31.. its a 40 in the picture..

18. RepoMan207

from Maine

yeasssss, my boy did it. He hit it with his elbow as he turned around to get me my wrench. I was in the middle of rebuilding my old MM when it happened. I thought for sure the valve body was going to be junk. It had to of dropped about 4.5'. :eek:

19. plowguy43

Thats a really cheap price for that Valve. I may take a ride over there and buy all 3 just to have them.

20. RepoMan207

from Maine

That is a good price, too good actually. I wonder if they screwed up with the pricing or something.