1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

plow wobble

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by JDFireFord64, Jan 11, 2009.

1. JDFireFord64

JDFireFord64 Junior Member

hey eveyone just thought id mention something on here about a little wobbling problem.i noticed after the last storm. While driving down the road and hitting bumps the plow wobbles quite a bit, its definately more than its supposed to and more than it used to, i had a friend in the truck that also has a boss plow and he noticed it with me not even saying anything, we checked all the major bolts in front of the plow and tightened them all, we even used the impact gun and it got alittle better but not 100% so if anyone could shed some light on the situation it would be appreciated :salute:
    ps, its an 8 ft super duty full trip blade on an 02 f250
  2. wild bill

wild bill PlowSite.com Addict

check you main pivot bolt from a-frame to the quadrant ,they will loosen up and wear with use and age .you might be able to tighten the nut or might have to replace the bolt . it should be a 3/4-10 x5 1/2 with lock nut . :salute:
  3. JDFireFord64

JDFireFord64 Junior Member

ok i'll check it out, thanx WB
  4. americanlawn

americanlawn Junior Member
    from Midwest

We have two Western staright blades (8 foot pro plows) that have been severly "wobbling" for 4 or 5 years now. Took 'em in to our dealer a couple years ago, and said, "get it fixed". They said they "tightened up some bolts so this should solve the problem".

Problem is -- IT NEVER HELPED! Currently, both plows have a six inch "swing up and down at each end down" of the blade. This equates to a 12 inch total "wobble". We feel this is a dangerous situation as we drive down the road, and we do not feel comfortable using these plows,

Any help would be appreciated. rscvp, thanks
  5. White Knight

White Knight Member

You might check the pins and holes were the light tower attaches to the push frame. I have seen them egg out and cause a lot of slop.
  6. Bashby

Bashby Senior Member

You'll prbably get better results with a new thread in the western section, but I'd start by just looking closely at the plow while someone rocks it for you. Like mentioned earlier, the holes that they putr the new bolts in are probably wallowed out, causing a little play here and there that adds up to a lot.
  7. qualitycut

qualitycut PlowSite Fanatic

II had the same problem and looked over everything, well I found out the hard way when the push frame snapped while plowing a lot and the blade came completely off the truck.
  8. no lead

no lead PlowSite.com Addict

first thing i would do is replace the pivot bolt with a new one and torque it with an impact gun.:nod:
  9. Ultra Duty

Ultra Duty Member
    from NE OHIO

What has happened is the A-frame hole has ovalized. to fix correctly you will need to remove the blade from the A-frame and weld in new bushings the diameter of the bolt to tighten up the wobble.