1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

plow with this thing?

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment' started by RBRONKEMA GHTFD, Aug 31, 2008.

RBRONKEMA GHTFD 2000 Club Member

2. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic

The blade doesn't float so that would definitely hinder it's performance in snow. The corners may look like they'd dig into the ground before the rest of the blade but it's not really like that. It's the camera angle that gives it that illusion.
  3. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

dirt, but i bet a sweet rubber edge or a pusher could fix that
  4. Indy

Indy Senior Member

nice, no need for a trip spring or edge, cause what ever you hit is going to move, including cars, curbs......everything.

For get to put it in float, by, by pavement

Otrher than that, she perfect!!:jester:
  5. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Completly useless for snow. Would work good for leveling truckloads of fill or topsoil. I guess the only benefit over a dozer would be faster ground speed. PJ where are you?
  6. elite1msmith

from chicago

your crazy , put a custom like 40 foot Protect pusher on it, and go plow Ohare ariport.... you could do the runway in a few passes
  7. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

the blade would float or it could reworked to make it float

it would need a rubber/poly edge

it would definetly work in the snow but it would kind of slow and awkward

i think their would be better ways to spend the money, like a smaller/newer loader that would have a faster cycle time
  8. T-MAN

T-MAN PlowSite.com Addict

Its perfect, I would get 2. :jester:
    Just make sure you have a curb forming machine, and be tight with a Paving contractor for your spring cleanups :drinkup:
    No need for salt either, you could just scrape up the pavement and save a fortune LOL
  9. Peterbilt

Peterbilt Senior Member
    from IA.

Well. its a whell dozer. They are used mostly in large open pit mines where thier speed makes them a real asset.
    The blade is the same as most large dosers have,
    No the corners don't dig in,
    The pitch of the blade itself makes the whole thing sit down flat and level as it hits the ground.
    And they (As do most dozers) Have blade float, Used mostly for back draging.

As far as snow, I have seen Large Ag tractors with Degleman and grouser blades plow snow, but I think the way this is set up would destryo anything it hit. Doesn't Protech have a pusher that would go on this thing?

10. powerjoke

powerjoke PlowSite.com Addict

it's a wheel dozer alright,

be ready for the ol'e girl to burn 20+ gallon per hour

i had a HOUGH 220 that was a little bigger than that 280 and we didnt use it much. (i'll try to find a pic) we used it for push loading scraper's when the track machine was busy on spoil pile's. it was a coal dozer so the blade was oversize and before i bought it i thought....Hmmm! i could use this in snow! but after realizing the shear mass of the machine i figured it wasnt even close to practicle

like Peterbuilt said. the corner's of the blade.....will not hit before the rest, it is a semi-u blade and it is kinda like wing's on a snow plow (and here you thought blizzard invented them :rolleyes:) lol.

they are not going to let the machine go for $20k,,.....the tires are worth that! it may sell for $20k but it wont leave thier yard ;) lol

the machine weighs (i am guessing) 65,000lbs

they have alot of uses....like JD said leveling fill it would be perfect where'as we used ours for push loading.

as far as the float.... it should have float on the blade but like Pete said it's for backdraging, a good operator will never use it......where a good operator will cut grade while he pushes a mediocre operator will cut grade and then backdrag to smooth and a bad operator.....well this is not a machine for a bad operator, expecially for the app. youre thinking of lol

so in conclusion it's fun to talk about but a really bad idea to actually see through. yes i know a lot of airport's use them but...i would say a runway is a little better built than youre average supercenter parking lot lol.....concrete-VS-asphalt

sorry for the long post

Last edited: Sep 1, 2008
  11. elite1msmith

from chicago

if salt keeps going up in price, it might be a cheaper option
  12. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

there not going to let it go for 20,000

please explain what "buy it now" 19,500 means?
  13. elite1msmith

from chicago

:realmad: i take back my preious post

that thing needs at least a 60 foot blade.... that way you could clear an enitre parking spot, drive lane, parking spot.....in 1 pass

do wallmart in 9 passes, mejeir in 10 so call up protect, they have that Box blade that folds up sweet have it custom made.

......... or maybe toby , and snow way could figure somthing out ... just take the new megga revolution, and keep adding those nice wings to it...thats alot of plow markers to look at , ..... but the sky is the limit
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2008
  14. itsgottobegreen

itsgottobegreen PlowSite.com Addict

Um believe it or not. O'hare has like 10 of these with custom built 24' protechs I believe. I got a pictures somewhere around here of one.
  15. elite1msmith

from chicago

no , i think it needs at least a 40 foot, with wings..lol
  16. itsgottobegreen

itsgottobegreen PlowSite.com Addict

I am being serious. You need a cat 992 to push a 30'. Which is twice the size of this. So I doubt it will push a 40'

IDOCTORTREES Senior Member
    from MONTANA

Its the wrong equipment for snow..
  18. elite1msmith

from chicago

well i think it fare better than that guy 2 months ago that wanted to plow ith his 44 inch tires..... i wonder how he is doing?:sleeping:
  19. Zodiac

Zodiac Member

Wheel dozers have floats on the blade. Although I've never really seen anyone use them.

The corners won't cut into the pavement.

But from first hand experience, I've plowed with track type tractors and tracked dozers with eight to ten foot blades. They can be a pain in the ass, but with tracks, the grousers work pretty good on ice, and they can relocate a whole pile of snow with one or two pushes.
  20. DugHD

DugHD Senior Member
    from Maine

I've seen these tractors plowing with large snow blades at a Navy facility. Was Ideal for the large acreage lot they were pushing.