1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

plow with f150 4x4

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by RhinoL&L, Jan 1, 2007.

1. RhinoL&L

RhinoL&L Senior Member

hey, I am 16 and have been doing lawncare for a few years and was thinking about putting a plow on my f150. It is the triton 5.4 v8 4x4. I was thinking of putting a meyer st 7.5 or stp 7.5 on it and maybe a snowex mini pro 575. I would only be doing driveways and some private roads. any thoughts? thanks, shawn
  2. chev_4x4

chev_4x4 Senior Member

For a first timer, doing drives, a half ton will be fine. I used a half ton for years doing small to medium commercial, and had no problems. For what you are planning to use it for it should work perfect for you. The only thing I am leery of is the meyer plow, where i get my plows at and serviced always has a stack of meyers pump motors on the floor to get repaired. That is personal preference though, talk to others in your area and the place you will be purchasing the plow about what they sell more of. As for the spreader sounds good to me too.
  3. RhinoL&L

RhinoL&L Senior Member

thanks for the info. what plows would you recommend?
  4. itsgottobegreen

itsgottobegreen PlowSite.com Addict

Anything except a Meyers. They are the worst snow plows you can buy. I have had to repair to many. (I am currently working at a snow plow shop and we rebuild 1-2 meyer pumps a day)

Personally I would put a Western 7.5' Midweight on it. Its the best plow you can buy. Its on and off the truck in 30 seconds. Its a minture version of the pro plus. Which is the heaviest dudy plow you can buy.
  5. chev_4x4

chev_4x4 Senior Member

I personally run only western. I have had a fisher on one truck and it was a beast, but that was a used truck. When I buy new I buy western. The midweight is a sturdy looking plow. And I would think it would serve you well. Talk to your local dealer and also see what a majority of other contractors are running.
  6. RhinoL&L

RhinoL&L Senior Member

Thanks for the info. Does anyone else have any thoughts on my first post about the plow on my truck, and what plows would you recommend. Any ino helps thanks, shawn

WALKERS PlowSite.com Addict

We use th BOSS blades on our F250s but with F150 I would go with a middle weight like itsgottobe said Look into the Snoaway plows down pressure and fiberglass blades. Just my two cents.:salute:
  8. itsgottobegreen

itsgottobegreen PlowSite.com Addict

Oh you're defently going to want a set of timberns and put about 750lbs of counter weight behind the rear axel on that truck. Other wise its a great set up for driveways.

greenlawnscapes is my AIM catch me if you want to chat more about this.
  9. rfed32

rfed32 Senior Member

western...have one on my s10 old unimount...and will be going on my 99 1500 next week when i get it....western is all i run and all my family runs...3 generations of plowing and we all run westerns....but the midweight would be perfect...if i buy a new plow for this truck that is what i will be buying....good luck
  10. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

11. Nascar24

Nascar24 Senior Member

12. lazerslicer

lazerslicer Member

I started with a 96 z-71 1500 with a E-60 7.5" meyers and it worked great! with 500lbs in the back and i have no timbrens or turns of the torsion bars. I have now upgraded to a 04 2500 with a boss v. I used that meyers for 4 yrs and only replaced a motor $200.00 in those four years.... I only went boss cause a local guy has all the parts for boss and hes one block away but he says boss never break with all this snow we r getting (lol) i haven't even used the boss yet....... So i can't wait to see how it performs, but it does look good on the truck.....
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2007