1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

PLow With Exhaust?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by ebski387, Mar 4, 2004.

1. ebski387

ebski387 Junior Member
    from ny

does any body plow with a custom exhaust?:dizzy:

2. Big Nate's Plowing

Big Nate's Plowing PlowSite.com Addict

yup, gibson cat back on the durango

3. bgingras

bgingras Senior Member

Yep, it kinda turns your head. Chevy k30 dually flatbed. Dual 2.5" staight pipes, no cats, After Burner Sound Engineered Mufflers. Truck sounds great, and has good power. I have the pipes set in the rear, but guarded from getting mangled in the snow.

4. AintNoFun

AintNoFun Senior Member

haven't plowed with it yet on my truck, but my buddy has the same thing, 7.3l turbo diesel with 5 inch exhaust from the downpipe back.... it gets a little annoying after hours of plowing...

5. bgingras

bgingras Senior Member

When I decided to do the exhaust I aksed around because I was concerend about in cab noise and found the sound engineered one I use now...I don't hear it in the cab at all. All I hear is the usual noise of an 1986 5.7L.

6. noclevername

noclevername Member

All stainless tube, 3.5" down-pipe from the turbo to a 4"exhaust, through a HUGE Magnaflow muffler (polished stainless) exiting ahead of the rear passenger side tire through a polished stainless 5" slash tip. This system was designed and custom mandrel bent (including the down-pipe) by a local muffler shop that specializes in "hot-rods". I guess through a lot of experience and careful selection of parts this system has virtually no back pressure (you can hear the turbo spinning at idle) and there is N0 increase in sound in the cab (one of my prerequisites) but there is a nice little "rumble" when you get on/off the power, sorta' like a well muffled big block gas motor. You can plow all night ....
    They told me that muffler placement is pretty important regarding the noise level in the cab

7. cja1987

cja1987 PlowSite.com Addict

a real loud exaust might annoy me after a while:nod:

8. The Boss

The Boss 2000 Club Member

Banks 5" exhaust. Nice and loud.:nod:

9. karl klein

karl klein Senior Member

i just have two glass packs with stright turn downs before the rear axle. i put this set up on there after the factory side pipes were riped off one night while plowing, just glad the didn't push in to the fender

10. ebski387

ebski387 Junior Member
    from ny

do any people get upset when you plowing their driveway late at night or in the morning while there trying to sleep and here you?

11. ebski387

ebski387 Junior Member
    from ny

sorry i meant hear you

12. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

i love it loud sounds good to me

13. blk94fiveoh

blk94fiveoh Junior Member
    from MN

Well I don't think anyone should have a "very loud" exhaust if they are plowing residentials. To me loud exhaust doesn't look (sound) professional. IMO leave the loud exhaust to your toys.

14. UpstateDzlGuy

UpstateDzlGuy Senior Member

I have a modified exhaust on my truck and do nothing but residentials. I just try to be mindful of them sleeping and take it easy. They all understand that this is my one vehicle and that I like to enjoy it so they do not mind. There are also many others with the same around here. Chris

15. ratlover

ratlover PlowSite.com Addict
    from IL

I put the muffler back on my truck. 4" from the turbo back to the muffler and a 4"in 5" out muffler with 5" tail. The cops were the reason for putting the muffler back on though ;) It was the 4-5" set up with just a reducer in there, no muffler. I do comercial though.....often wondered how the customers would take my truck if I were doing resi at 2am. My aunt claimed the mufflerless system rattled the windows at her place. My truck is pretty quiet inside and dosnt bother me but if I have have something next to me like abuilding or a semi on the highway I notice it quite a bit more, or if I have the windows down. Its still fairly loud outside but the new chevy has good insulation :nod:

As it is I could roll a softball through my muffler no problem......

16. griffithtlc

griffithtlc Senior Member

I plow with a straight pipe on my Cummins. I also have some fueling adjustments that give me a shot of black smoke when I really get on it. Needless to say, it is fun plowing really heavy, wet snow:)

17. Luppy

Luppy Senior Member

I've got the Borla header & cat back muffler, but it doesn't make my Jeep loud at all.

18. Turfmower

Turfmower Senior Member

Loud exhaust isn't good for plowing, most time I plow with window down so I can hear the plow and truck. Then you can hear what going on.
    Don't you customers complain when the Waken up at 4 am with your loud exhaust?

19. blkberry

blkberry Junior Member

Magna flow top to bottom, 3". 5.9l ram2500 gas.:D

20. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

I keep a stock exhaust in good shape on my truck.... for now. Next year its stock duals with decent mufflers. I try to do my residentials after 8am so I've never had a complaint yet. I agree that a noisy exhaust does not look professional in this situation. Also, remember that noise does not equal more power.... if it did we'd all have to go buy a 'Fart Can' like those Honda Civics... lol

How many of you guys have to go thru E-Testing like we do here in Ontario? There's not much room for modification within the law here...