1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plow wiring

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Chris Leonard, Nov 8, 2010.

1. Chris Leonard

Chris Leonard Junior Member

I'm putting an older model plow on an 02 Chevy 2500 and I was wondering if any one knows of a good way to wire it into the headlights so that the high low switch would work without just tapping into the wires on the headlights.
  2. plowsomesnow

plowsomesnow Junior Member
    from mn

just use a 3way toggle switch for your plow lights. it much easier then trying to tap into your trucks wiring. thats what i did im planing on running with my parking lights on so i have tail lights.
  3. old skool

old skool Senior Member
    from NW IL

yep thats what I used to do... I just posted this earlier

In the "old" days (when the plow harness' were universal) I never cut my plow lights into the truck's headlight wiring. I used an "ON-OFF-ON" toggle switch mounted in the dash. I wired the plow lights to the ignition fuse panel, with a relay. (like you would wire fog lights) . Flip the switch up for brights, down for dims. Run your truck with the lights in the park position so you had taillights. Turn the truck off and the plow lights would go off...nice in the days before "dummy chimes" . lol

Some of my early trucks lacked big charging systems...Nice thing,in larger parking lots I could turn of all my lights except the plow lights to give the charging system a little bit of a break.
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2010