1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plow wiring question

Discussion in 'Hiniker' started by Wyosnow, Jan 12, 2014.

1. Wyosnow

Wyosnow Junior Member
    from Wyoming

I just bought a 7? year old Hiniker 2753 that was mounted on a late model Ford. (Craigslist of course)
    I am hooking it up on a '11 GMC 2500.
    Most of the wiring is pretty straight foward. The harness is from a Ford, so the headlight plugs will not fit, and a new harness is out of budget.
    I would rather not go through the hassle of pulling the headlamp assembly out and cutting into my truck wiring harness.

My question is this: Looking at the wiring diagram, it appears that if I hooked up a (fused) 12v supply to the green wire on the headlight plug and ground the white wire the plow will think the truck is supplying the power to the plow low beam lights. If I am correct, I would manually turn the truck lights off and could turn the plow lights on or off with the remote.

I realise this would not allow me to use the high beams on the plow but this plow would only be used for a 1/2 mile driveway.

Has anyone tried anything like this?
    Any ideas?

Thanks

2. Jimmy_B

Jimmy_B Junior Member

As far as I know the harnesses are all the same. No need to replace the whole thing, the portion that plugs into your truck lights is replaceable with one that fits your brand.

3. Wyosnow

Wyosnow Junior Member
    from Wyoming

Thanks Jimmy, I will look into that.

4. bliz&hinikerDLR

bliz&hinikerDLR Senior Member

The headlight adapter you need should be less than $175 (unless you have an old grey loom harness) ... it will save you a whole lot of frustration.

5. Wyosnow

Wyosnow Junior Member
    from Wyoming

Thanks for the help and ideas. I am doing this on the cheap (trying to keep the total budget at $2k or less). If anyone was curious, the idea did work. By bringing in power to the harness, I have low beam plow lights that can be turned on by the plow controller. Turn signals work, but no parking lights or high beams. This should be good enough for back roads in Wyoming.
    Thanks again

6. Wyosnow

Wyosnow Junior Member
    from Wyoming

I thought I would post a pix of the finished product.
    Thanks.

small.jpg

7. Jimmy_B

Jimmy_B Junior Member

Looks nice!

8. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

Where in the Cowboy state are you from?

9. Wyosnow

Wyosnow Junior Member
    from Wyoming

Just East of Cheyenne

10. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

Ah, looks like Pine Buffs. I have family in Albin.

11. BC Handyman

BC Handyman PlowSite.com Addict

Start saving or looking for a new cutting edge, looks like you will need one soon. Good luck this year.

12. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

I see the cutting edge squad of the RCMP are on top of things.....:laughing:

Looks like he's mainly doing his driveway which is probably dirt and his edge will last a long time as doing that type of plowing, but you knew that.Thumbs Up

13. BC Handyman

BC Handyman PlowSite.com Addict

lol of course I knew that, but you know as well as me, once you got a plow it's only a matter of time before he doing the neighbor, close by family, your friend, then maybe a coworker, then before you know it your on here talking about what to charge or how to start your snow removal co.