1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plow Wiring Modifications and/or Blade Swap

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by lost_cause, Oct 9, 2009.

1. lost_cause

lost_cause Junior Member
    from Maine

A year ago I purchased a 2001 GMC 3500 that had previously been used with a Fisher Minute Mount V-plow. When I bought the truck, it did not include the plow or controller, but the mounts and wiring was all intact.

I've just picked up a plow for it, but it's not an exact fit, so I'm going to have to do some modifications and possibly swap the blade - My truck has three plugs, but the plow has two. Both plow and truck have a heacy two-pin plug, which I assume is power to the pump. The difference appears to be that the plow has one plug for the lights and plow controls, while the truck has a harness that splits into two plugs for the lights and controls. I need to figure out what I need to convert the one plug on the plow for lights and controls to two plugs to fit my truck. anyone know whether it is this simple, or are there other electric items that will require changing?

Next, the plow is a 10' straight blade. I believe it was on a medium duty International truck. The blade itself is a bit larger than I want, so I'm thinking of trying to swap it for a 9' one. If all else fails, I may just narrow it up a little myself. The headgear assembly seems to be a fit for my truck, though I wonder if it may be too tall? Any thoughts? I know there is an adapter to use the straight blade control with the v-blade harness that I'll have to get also.

2. lost_cause

lost_cause Junior Member
    from Maine

After looking to see what this plow is, it must be an MC series. What concerns me now is that the blade weight stated on the fisher site is that the weight is 1428 lbs, where a 9' HD is only 745 lbs and a 9'6" V is only 1005. When I first looked at it, I did not realize it was that much heavier. No matter what, I don't think I can cut it down and shed enough weight for my truck - hopedully I can swap it for a 9' HD.

Aside from the blade, is anyone familiar with the headgear? I looked at it, and without another one beside it to compare to, it doesn't look much different than the headgear for a light duty truck. I know the angling rams are longer and heavier, but I'm assuming that the length is just because of the distance to the plow, and not a totally different headgear geometry. I'm also thinking that the lift ram might be longer and the headgear taller? can anyone confirm or deny this?

3. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member

just out of sheer curiosity, how did you manage to get the blade home if you accidentally bought an MC series blade?

4. lost_cause

lost_cause Junior Member
    from Maine

i havent actually brought it home yet. the plan the whole time was to revamp the blade before it ever went on the truck. the plow has a 2 plug setup and i have a three, and i don't yet have the adapter to convert the v blade plug to a straight blade plug. I was going to have them drop it in the body of the 1 ton dump i was going to put it on with an excavator.

i knew that it was too big, but i figured that if i narrowed it to 9 feet it wouldn't be any heavier than a 9'6" v blade. after seeing the stated weight on the fisher site, i'm pretty sure that it would take too much work to put it on enough of a diet to come in at under 1000 pounds. i don't see it as a loss yet. i'm trying to evaluate how much (if any) of the headgear assembly will still work. i haven't measured the height of it, but otherwise, the headgear and insta-act pump assembly look to be the the same.

i know the blade and angling rams are different, and probably the lower a-frame bracket is too long. i don't know about the lift ram / headgear height yet.

i'm hoping i can sell the blade and rams and buy a blade that fits.

5. 02powerstroke

02powerstroke PlowSite.com Addict

If you got the thing for a deal fix it up alittle and sell it or trade it for the right plow. to convert a 2 plug to a 3 is easy but that plow it waaay to massive for that truck, I think it would be more time and money to swap blades and all that than to just it the right 8.5-9ft set up for that truck

6. Sabsan84

Sabsan84 Senior Member

Assuming that Gm's have 4800# front axles to begin with, I would not even try to plop this huge plow on your truck if you care about it, the International probably had a 10K front end on it, if not 12K. I would just look for the appropriate plow for your truck. GOod Luck

7. RepoMan207

RepoMan207 PlowSite Fanatic
    from Maine

Way to big for that truck. If you havn't already forked over the $$ I would walk away now. If so, pretty it up and send it down the road.

8. lost_cause

lost_cause Junior Member
    from Maine

i never intended to run the plow as-is from the beginning. my initial plan was to narrow it to 9' and lighten it as much as possible, but after finding the 1400 pound listed weight, i didn't think it would be feasible. at that point i've switched gears slightly and i'm looking at it form the point of finding how many parts on it are the same as a 9' hd blade.

the reason i'm approacing it from this angle is pretty much price. last year i checked several places across the state for used / refurbished 9' setups and they pretty much wanted $2500-$3500 for the drive-in plow unit and the control (i'll still have to buy the $50+ adapter to change from my truck's v-blade setup to the straight blade control). what i'm paying for this 10' mc is a fraction of that cost. if i can reuse most all of it and just have to get a blade and angling rams, then i'm going to be a lot farther ahead of the game.

i don't think reselling the 10' blade will really be the best way to go. i can drive down any road and literally see multiple fisher plows from 7'6" to 9' in every other driveway. there is probably only one mc to every 100 hd plows around here, so the demand for the 10' mc is probably pretty low. there are also a lot of people and businesses around here that buy & resell / refurbish fisher plows for light duty trucks, so i think finding the parts i need may not be that hard. i'm willing to do a little legwork and metalwork if it will save me $1000 or more. plus, like i said, the mc minute mount sure looks very similar to the hd minute mount, so hopefully it won't be too bad.

i'm still finishing remodeling my garage/shop, so that's priority one, but if i decide to do this, i'll set it beside a 9' minute mount and show pics of the two, along with any work i do to refit it.

9. RepoMan207

from Maine

There different all the way around. The A frame is longer & wider, the headgear is wider & taller, I don't think we need to mention the blade, but the older HD's were a different configuration, so you can't mount the blade to the MC A frame. There isn't anything you can swap over for major components unfortunately. The headgear will fit your truck, but you can't put a HD series A frame on it as it is too narrow. I think your going down the wrong road here.... A "lost cause" for sure :laughing::laughing:. Sorry, I couldn't resist. Seriously though, I think you would be better off putting you energy elsewhere. There is a bunch of old MM's out there to be had for under $1k. Not sure where you are in Maine but there is an auction in Scarborough tomorrow (Beech Ridge Speedway) they have 7 plows on the block that will all go for under a thousand, 4 of which are MM 8' HD. They will go for under $500 for sure.

10. lost_cause

lost_cause Junior Member
    from Maine

yeah, i see where you're coming from. i downloaded the parts posters last night to see the similarities and differences, and like you said, the lower gear, headgear and a-frame are all different between the mc and hd, though they are all very similar in the base design.

yes, i am in maine, and scraborough isn't out of range - probably an hour and a half drive, but if it's 8' blades, i'm still left with a plow needing a blade. my truck's body measures 8' in width, and the out to out of my side mirrors is actually about 8'10" (surprised they are over 8'6", but they are). my truck originally had a v-plow on it, and since they make them in 8'6" and 9'6" i have to assume they had a 9'6" blade on it. i really don't want to compromise on the width. if i go less than 9' i won't be able to get very close to anything if i have the blade angled to pull snow away - i'll be leaving more than a foot (probably closer to two feet) of snow alongside buildings and such. finding 9' used mm plows isnt as easy as 8' and smaller.

i know you think i'm beating a dead horse, but follow my thoughts on this idea for a minute:

i'm assuming that the weights listed by fisher for the minute mounts include the whole drive-in unit (blade, headgear, etc). if my truck can handle a 9'6" v, which weighs over 1000 pounds and a 9' hd weights around 750 pounds, then i easily have about 250 pounds to work with. the headgear, lower gear, and a-frame on an mc and hd are different, but all similar in fabrication. this means that the weight of all three can't be a lot different - 100 pounds max? the mc should attach to my truck - as the lower gear width measures the same.

what if i used the entire mc except for the blade, and then found / re-fabricated a lighter 9' blade? i could use any brand or age of blade, since they all will have reinforcing ribs already. the only thing i would have to do is rework the way it attaches to the a-frame? my steel fabrication and design skills are pretty fair, so this would only be a matter of a small amount of metal and a little design and fabrication.

checking uncle henrys and craigs list shows 9 footers in houton for 1400 and auburn for 1800. buying the mc pretty much leaves me $1000 (or more) to work, plus, maybe i could have some luck selling the old mc blade for a few hundred as an attachment for an equipment bucket.

11. RepoMan207

from Maine

I know you need 9' blade with out a doubt & I know what you are thinking. I went over this last night.....apparently not well enough because I thought of something while I was at that auction.

This is a Minute Mount 1 right? If so, I think you can make this work with some fabrication. You would need a 9' HD blade & "A" frame though. It would need to be the old "L" blade series. Notice in the picture for the MC "A" frame, there is no "ears" for the blades "angle frame", as they were different from the HD series. You could potentially cut the ears off a HD "L" series "A" frame, and weld them strategically on the MC series "A" frame. You would also need to drill out the center mounting pin hole to the right diameter on the "L" series HD blade, as they were larger on the MC series vs the HD. Get what I am saying? But it still requires a 9' HD "L" series "A" frame & Blade. They did have more at the auction today....a couple 9' and 2 v blades. They were all junk, or needed some TLC, but it would of been great for what you needed.

I would drill out the mounting pin hole first, mount it, then align the "ears" last. You would need to still use the MC angle rams I believe as the "A" frame on the MC is 2" longer.

Hope I didn't lose you too bad; I've been up 40 hours now.

9.jpg

9.jpg

12. RepoMan207

from Maine

After thought....It won't work. The Angle Rams would be offset. There mounted further out off center (I'm not so sure that is a politically correct statement :rolleyes: ) on the MC series versus the HD series. I think once you start hacking and cutting further into the A frame the weaker it is going to get. As it is were talking about a old used up A frame which is already primmed for tweaking and distortion...

I still would walk away if there hasn't been any $$ exchanged.

13. lost_cause

lost_cause Junior Member
    from Maine

thanks for all the thought you've put into this for me. i am still looking for a perfect fit plow in a fairly inexpensive price range, but i'm still keeping the wheels turning on this idea just in case. having someone to bounce ideas (good and bad) off helps me work everything out.

if i end up with the mc as the base of the project, i think my best bet is to use the 8445 headgear assembly and the 20703-1 a-frame exactly as they are with no modifications. at that point i could just find any 9' blade from any manufacturer and build a new angle frame (possibly re-work and lighten the mc angle frame) to attach it to the mc a-frame. i would locate the holes for the angle rams with the correct geometry to utilize the 2x16 rams off the mc. as far as the "ears" go, the mc has a commercial angle frame guide (20775) that attaches under the a-frame to do the same function as the ears. i should be able to build the angle frame to utilize this guide.

thanks again for all the thought you have put into this. by the way, if you happen to see any brand of 9' blade anywhere in your travels for cheap, drop me a line. maybe i'll be able to get something rigged up before the snow starts to pile up.

14. RepoMan207

from Maine