1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plow wiring install

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Proscapez LLC, Oct 31, 2006.

1. Proscapez LLC

Proscapez LLC Senior Member

I need help finding a place to run my wiring into my cab.
    Also where did you mount for front plugs for your plow.
    Pictures would be great

Thanks Scott

2. flykelley

flykelley 2000 Club Member

Hi Scott
    It would help if you told us what kind of truck and also the year. My 05 Chevy I drilled a hole in the firewall, earlier model chevys with snow plow prep came already drilled. Ford I can't speak of where to run your wire's.

Regards Mike

3. Proscapez LLC

Hello Mike,
    Sorry its an 04 Silverado 1500 without plow prep.
    can you tell me, where you drilled the hole.
    also did you do it from inside or outside.
    I can barely see my firewall, let alone get to it from under the hood. lol

Scott

4. flykelley

flykelley 2000 Club Member

Hi Scott
    I drilled it from inside, there is a dimple above the brake's on the 2500 HD. I'm not sure about the 1500. I can tell you that the truck will have a bit of a hard time with a plow on a 1500. Now with that said guys have done it in the past. First crank them torrosion bars 5 turns and order a set of timbrens. ( there is a banner at the top of the page to order Timbrens) Next put some ballast in the box. Keep a eye on the trans temp, never let it get over 210 degree's and chamge the trans fluid every year. Send me a email and I will email you pictures of the hole in the firewall. flykelley930@aol.com

Regards Mike

5. Proscapez LLC

I bought this for plowing, but i couldn't find a half ton with the plow prep so i took one with a towing package.

I understand the concern, But I have broken front end parts on my old Chevy 3500 do to plowing and driving fast down rough dirt roads.

But there is a madness to my thinking

I also play off road with my other lifted chevy which has ford keys in it, so i understand the torsion bar suspensions a little more then most people as I have torn up a lot of parts.

But Cost has a lot to do with it, insurance, gas, plates. ect.
    I also plan on chaning over most of the suspension parts to heavy duty Moog parts which are much stronger then the factory. We'll see what happens as I get there.

Scott

6. mayhem

mayhem PlowSite.com Addict
    from Peru MA

I'm right smack in the middle of this with my 2000 2500 ecsb. I got the underhood stuff done in about an hour and a half after I removed the headlights...that was the key component right there and made the whole job a breeze.

I'm stuck getting the controller plug into the cab and am looking at 3 options...cut the grommet at the main wiring conduit on the driver's side upper corner of the firewall, cut the grommet that shrouds over the steering assembly or drill a hole through the firewall specifically for the harness. In all 3 cases you'll have to silicone the hole to seal it so I'm not totally sure there is a better way here.

For plow plug mounts, I ran mine down in front of the radiator to the egg crate holes at the driver's side base of the grill. Your truck is newer so I'm not sure if you have the honeycomb grill or not, but if you do there is a good thread about where people ran their plugs further down in tis section. I put a link below.

http://www.plowsite.com/showthread.php?t=37652

7. Proscapez LLC

thank you for your help

A friend came over and show me how to run it through the fire wall next to the main harness. my plug was about an inch in diameter and we just pushed and pulled it right thru.
    One person on the inside pushing down on the outside edge and one person on the outside pushing it thru. no cutting needed. I still can't believe how easy and quick it was.
    It took all of 15 seconds to push it thru the firewall.