1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plow Wings

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by rdl5775, Aug 8, 2009.

1. rdl5775

rdl5775 Junior Member

Any opinions on those Pro Wings? Thinking of putting them on my 8ft. Western Pro. I plow driveways and commercial lots. Was wondering "Pro's" and con's?
    Thanks

2. DuramaxPowered

DuramaxPowered Member

The pro wings are really nice. I added them to my 8 foot pro plow and i bet it saves me 40% time maybe more on a bigger lot. Just becareful around the curbs. The rubber can be weak and break off. The metal will bend kinda easy also if you run them along curbs.

Out in the open they are great!!! A must have.

3. rdl5775

rdl5775 Junior Member

Great ! Thanks for the info. Did you install yourself ? Any tips?
    Just wondering if they're worth the $200.

4. DuramaxPowered

DuramaxPowered Member

Yes you will pay for them in no time just on what you save in time. I installed them myself on one plow and hired it done on my other. Pretty simple really.

5. snocrete

snocrete Banned

I have never ran a set before, but will be installing a set I got for our 7.5 meyer poly. I have urethane edges that are going on it. Before getting them, I had done some researching, and found alot of long time users switching to urethane. So I figured it would be wise to have urethane right out of the gate.

6. DuramaxPowered

DuramaxPowered Member

Where can a person buy urethane edges? I think that would be the way to go. I don't think very highly of the rubber edges.

7. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

I installed a set on my 8'5" poly meyers last winter and the time it saved me on one account was about 35 minutes. They work great. With them on my blade is 10'4" wide. Look at my picture and you can see them. Since you are putting them on a Poly Blade you will need to weld them to the back bracings. I use the rubber edges and I have guides so I dont run them into curbs. Do that and you will kill them after a few good hits.Here is a thread with some pics of how I hooked the pro wings to my blade.

http://www.plowsite.com/showthread.php?t=75558

8. MileHigh

MileHigh PlowSite.com Addict

"Pro-wings" are sweet... I would never use a straight blade without wings.

But "sno-wings" are about twice as strong and beefier, and use 1 1/2 inch rubber edge as opposed to the I think it's 3/4 inch rubbers others use.

9. Italiano67

Italiano67 Senior Member

Where can you get the Sno-wings?

10. vmj

vmj Senior Member
    from conn

I put them on a fisher plow last year and if your plowing straight runs their good i guess.... i think it was a wast of 300 dollars!!!! put on poly edges and all... bent one and never used them again.... total wast of money

11. snocrete

snocrete Banned

There are lots of places...just google urethane edges.....for something like that, you may be able to find a local liner company that does like dump beds and stuff like that. They can cut you off a raw peice, and you cut them to fit, maybe getting 2 or 3 sets out of the peice they give you?

I think thats the first time I've heard that...and besides, they can be bought for about $250 or less, cant they?...I paid less than 200 for mine w/ u edges.

12. rdl5775

rdl5775 Junior Member

really looks like the wings are the way to go. if the "Sno" Wings are beefier who's got info on them ???

13. vmj

vmj Senior Member
    from conn

It was the added cost for the poly edges that brought it up to 300. I still think they were a wast of money... one tap and their bent....

14. MileHigh

I can't seem to find them online right now. There in shops around here and actually called Snow Wings.

I will get you pics of my buddies pair of them and you will see the big difference.

My pro-wings are getting replaced.:salute:

Last edited: Aug 12, 2009
  15. Wayne Volz

Wayne Volz Senior Member

Been using them for years

They are great for plowing but not too good if packed down or ice under neath. We run them on all of our plows. If you are charging by the hour, maybe not use them or at least raise your hourly rate. When we first started using them, we were costing ourselves money because we were getting done too quick on jobs that were already paying a higher rate to us. We changed to flat rate pricing

Buy them and watch your PROFIT DOLLARS GO UP!

16. rdl5775

rdl5775 Junior Member

Thanks guys ! Any help with "Snow Wings" info would be appreciated.

17. MileHigh

I'm finding out all the info for you.

It might be something you have to order from a shop down here.

Been a bit on busy side with landscape maintenance.

Believe me...there worth the wait.

18. chrisby316

chrisby316 Senior Member

don't now how you bent them by "tapping them" we run them on our 3 larger chevys and they get beat on pretty good. only had them bend once when one of my guys didn't see a loading dock at full plowing speed. still only took an hour of time and a torch to have it like new again.

maybe tap is an acronym?

Totally
    Annihilate
    Plow

19. snocrete

snocrete Banned

I like that!! :D Good One!!

20. JDWalkbehind

JDWalkbehind Senior Member

snocrete- do you remember how much those snow wings are? i'm looking into getting wings this year and from how you guys are talking snow wings may be the way to go instead of the pro wings. let us know when you find out some more info on them. or if you have pic's that'd be awesome. thanks

nick