1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plow wings

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by JSLandscaping, Oct 26, 2005.

1. JSLandscaping

JSLandscaping Junior Member

Hey guys, new to the forum, seems like a place with a ton of info. What are your guys thoughts on wings for a strait blade, I have an 8' mm which I am hoping to get a set of wings for. Any recomondations? Seen the pro wings, but are there any other companies that are better? Hoping to get a set within the next week. Snow is on the way hoping to have a good season. Any help is greatly apreciated. Thanks guys:)

James
    JS LANDSCAPING

2. jeffw

jeffw Senior Member

there seems to be two brands out there. chicken wings and pro wings. alot of post on pro wings quick search wil bring up tons of info. if you doing alot of parking lots i would say you need em for driveways no need to have em that i can see.

jeff

3. hickslawns

hickslawns Senior Member

Common sense. We have several 7'6" plows with wings. This brings them to 9'2". For commercial plowing or contracts which pay flat rate, this is adventageous. They are quicker on drives but not considerably more efficient like they are on larger lots. If you only do driveways, I wouldn't spend the money. The other factor to consider besides the extra width is the angle. The wings are not straight extentions to the blade. They angle outward which helps eliminate some of the trails left behind with a straight blade. The main downside is they are not as hefty as the plow. You can bend them and don't want to hit curbs (not that you want to hit them with a blade either but it does happen sometimes) and you also don't want to try to push back big piles of snow with them. Use a skidsteer or loader or blade without wings. Good luck with your decision.

4. bigjeeping

bigjeeping Senior Member

Chicken Wings.. Mmmmmmmm Yummy

5. NEAL

NEAL Member

I love my Pro Wings. Obviously they are great for open lots but I like them for driveways too. Takes a little worry off of tearing up the grass along the edge of a driveway because the rubber from the wings rides over the grass. In case anyone is wondering I use Pro Wings on my Western poly plow. I used them all last year and by the end of the year the poly moldboard was slightly starting to pull in. This year I will run some steel to bridge the 2 ribs on the back of the plow and let the stud on the wings also come thru it.

6. PAGE2004

PAGE2004 Senior Member

hey - hook me up with a place that can sell me the poly edge guards for my pro wings .... everyone says that the rubber wears out very fast .

I havent used my wings yet ( got them last year ).

7. flykelley

flykelley 2000 Club Member

Try John the Garagekeeper. He is a great guy to deal with. email plowtech@hotmail.com
    I know john is a member of this group, I have his phone number around here somewhere.

Regards Mike