1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

plow wings question

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by z_plow_master, Dec 14, 2007.

1. z_plow_master

z_plow_master Member

HI everyone,
    I have a straight plow with no wings and have no idea how good they are. I know you won't have to go back and forth as much, I understand that. But here is my situation and you tell me if I should get a set of wings or not.
    In couple of my accounts, i have to push snow all the way to the end and then lift it over the curb to make sure the spots are all cleaned up. If I have wings on the plow,will lifting the snow over the curb damage the wings or are they made to bend so the whole system becomes straight when i push on the curb and try to lift and push the snow in?
    Excuse my primitive drawing,but,it's just an illustration.
    Thanks

Attached Files:

2. LoneCowboy

LoneCowboy PlowSite.com Addict

You still have to leave a "ramp" on the ground to get it up over the curb, just like with a flat blade The wings stick forward maybe 2 or 3 " from the flat blade itself. They are just going to have to live with 3" or so of snow on the ground. If i have a long curb run, I'll turn around very last thing and clean up the curb line, but it depends on the layout.
    Wings are a LOT more efficient. I've plowed with both, and now that it's my company, everything we have has wings on them. It's worth $10/hour to 15/hour more in sub pay out here to have wings. (always has been)

Oh, they bend all right, but they aren't supposed to. You can't hit too many curbs.

3. Runner

Runner Senior Member

Simply lifting properly as the blades touches te curb, and it all works. By tat time, the majority of the snow is up and over the curb. The rubber flaps give, and the curb ends up clean. This was a concern of mine, and I always wondered about it, but I found that it does clean it up.