1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

plow wings on a poly?

Discussion in 'Meyer / Diamond Products Discussion' started by Sharper Edge, Nov 16, 2008.

1. Does anyone have any pics of plow wing on a meyers poly blade? I have a 8' poly want to add wings.
  2. dlcs

dlcs 2000 Club Member

Yes, here is how we do it.

3. Doom & Gloom

Doom & Gloom Senior Member

That looks easier than doin all the drillin. I might have to try that! Nicely done!
  4. Thanks for the pics. Should save me some trial and error hooking them up. Thanks again
  5. Doom & Gloom

Do you have any close ups of the square plates, Just wanting to see the weld setup.
  6. jdknight75

jdknight75 Senior Member

How much did those wings cost, did you get them at a meyer distributor.
  7. bronco69

bronco69 Member

Can you make it simple for some of us and give us a measurement from ground to the bottom of each bracket. That looks a hell of alot easier than mounting the bracket on the front of the plow like it is recomended but have you ever had any problems with the welds breaking due to stress since they are mounted on the back? Thanks
  8. dlcs

dlcs 2000 Club Member

Ok, first off, the wings are made by Buyers. just your typical Pro Wings. What we did was just followed the measurments on the instructions, except we welded the hinge brackets to the back of the rib. You have to do this on a poly plow because you cant bolt them to the front. We welded 2 pieces of 3" wide flat stock, between the outer two ribs for more support. Then welded the square washer to the flat stock. The square washer comes with the Pro Wings, usually this is just left loose on a steel plow. Really, there is nothing fancy that we did, I just wanted to show everyone that it could be done. I can't find any close up pics but i'll try and get soem this weekend.
  9. Doom & Gloom

I bought my wings yesterday and going to try to put them on my Poly today. I will take pics as I go for others to see.
  10. Tscape

Tscape Senior Member

I have some flat stock that might work for you, Sharper.
  11. Doom & Gloom

Installed my wings on my Poly Blade today

Put my Wings on today, started off slow and frustrating. Went better once a buddy came over to help. Much easier with 2 people. I like them though, turned out pretty good. Don't knock my welds, I'm not professional, but they will hold.

12. Doom & Gloom

Few more pics

Here are a few more pics. I will post the finished product and mounted on the truck tomorrow.

13. dlcs

dlcs 2000 Club Member

Looks great! You just made yourself about 40% more efficient.:drinkup:
  14. Doom & Gloom

I had them before on my steel blades and really missed them. Thanks to you and your pictures, it was possible. This site and the people are very helpful.
  15. Nice job Doom & Gloom on your wing project. I just bought some for my Western poly, I'm guessing I will have to put some kind of backing on mine as well otherwise that spacer that holds the pin in will wear threw the mold board?
    I've seen others on here without all that backing and it seems to work as well, longevity tho may not hold.
    Ill get pics tommorow.
  16. lake_effect

lake_effect Junior Member

That's cool....gotta order a set of wings for my poly now. :nod:
  17. Doom & Gloom

Finally took some pics with the wings on. Its just not snowing so I run with the plow off the truck. These pics are with my phone so they are probably not that good.

18. rockin s

rockin s Junior Member
    from Wyoming

Nice work, I have had my wings on a Poly for about 6 years now but I bolted my brackets on from the front, I just replaced the Poly and I think I am gonna weld them on this time. How are they holding up being welded? I bent the brackets pretty often and even broke a bolt or two so this just my be the cure.
  19. Kenyou

Kenyou Senior Member

It really looks solid and would love to put them on my Meyers poly plow. Now that you have had them for a while, would you change the way you installed them? I know dlcs said to use 2 pieces of 3 inch wide flat stock but I don't know what thickness. Or does it even matter? Also, can this welding be done with the mold board still on the plow? I don't cherish taking my mold board off but I don't want to melt it either. I sure would appreciate any advise that you could give me.

Thanks a million.

20. Doom & Gloom

I've only got to use them once since the install but they did great. I had wings on my other plows and couldn't wait to get these on. No stress cracks as of yet.