1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plow wings make a difference?

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by duraplow, Feb 26, 2014.

1. duraplow

duraplow Member

I was gonna buy a set of wings for my 8'6" straight blade now that I've been using this blade more and my dad has my 8'2" V on his truck. Do the wings angle snow in like a scoop plow or Fisher XLS? My two accounts I plow out with my truck have aprox 500' straight pushes about 7 plow widths wide and I'm missing my V for the scoop.

So how many have the wings and what are the pros and cons with them? I haven't found many pictures of them online

2. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

well tell you this I have a 8.6 pro plus with wings and it can carry lots of snow but down fall it doesn't windrow the best with the wings on.
    I have more places that we have to carry the snow to a place to stack. Maybe 20% of the jobs we can windrow

3. duraplow

duraplow Member

Both accounts I have been doing for 6 years, these are the only two commercial accounts that don't have a machine with a pusher so its a good work out for a pick up. I only use to make two windrows with my V and then just start taking bites off the windrows. Use to take 45 mins with 2-5", now with my straight blade I'm over an hour just chasing roll off. I can only pile snow in the back circle behind the complex so I'd much rather be able to carry than windrow

4. alldayrj

alldayrj PlowSite.com Addict

Sounds like you should just buy my 9' v man

5. magnum1

magnum1 Senior Member
    from ID & ND

I have a Boss 7.6 w/wings on one of my skids wings make a noticeable difference in the amount of snow you can move . increases the bottom line Thumbs Up

6. duraplow

duraplow Member

I just closed on a house last month so if money wasn't a issue, there would be a new V on the front of my truck. My old man offered to buy one for my truck but he only buys Westerns and I don't like being in debt to him or Westerns. I should have enough for new DXT by fall but each year I keep acquiring more bills and more business responsibilities

7. cameo89

cameo89 Senior Member

I've been using pro wings on my Boss 7'6' and I can move way more snow, gets me closer to building, cars, mail boxes ect. Also pro wings are set on a 22° angel each side, well for a while, mine are near parallel with my blade from hitting curbs all winter, there easy to straighten back out and easy on easy off

8. rob_cook2001

rob_cook2001 2000 Club Member

Wings are worth every penny!! I would either get a set of boss wings or a set of sno-wings made by ace equipment in Henderson. They are twice the wings that pro wings are.. if you have to clean many curbs I like the ace wings better than the boss wings. They are also less expensive.. but the boss wings are a clean install and much easier on/off.. I will never own a blade without wings.... Even a v.

9. scott3430

scott3430 PlowSite.com Addict

^^^ I second what Rob said. My 9.2 V with wings is awesome! Only takes seconds to take them on/off if I will driving down the road between jobs. Great for my parking lots.

10. Mr.Markus

Mr.Markus PlowSite Fanatic

Even if you windrow you will save time cause you can use more of the blade with less spill off the top end. I switched to a 9'2 Vxt from a blizzard and I miss the wings. I may buy some for the boss, but with the snow I've had this year breaking through drifts has become a regular function for my V. I've done some driveways that I know would've stymied my blizzard.

11. goel

goel PlowSite.com Addict

Wings on your V will just make u better Markus, if that's possible.

12. CAT 245ME

CAT 245ME PlowSite.com Addict

I finally added a set of Boss wings to one of my 8'2 flat top V's in the fall, I have never had them off since installation. Can't beat 10' of blade, carry's lots of snow and I don't think windrowing with the wings is all that bad.

13. Mr.Markus

I put them on the list with my next cutting edge but the darn thing won't wear out....

14. goel

goel PlowSite.com Addict

Haha. I had a half worn out one that 1 used for 3 years. Was going to get a new edge this season but the truck was written off and the ins co paid extra for me to include the boss V. :)

15. duraplow

duraplow Member

How much are the Boss wings going for? I haven't called my dealer yet, but saw them online for over $800

16. Mr.Markus

I heard that that's about what they run...but I also heard that Boss was giving them to plowsite members who sing their accolades :D ♪ ♫

Last edited: Feb 27, 2014
  17. goel

goel PlowSite.com Addict

It's actually simple math. Boss wings make a 9'2" blade 20 percent larger.

Take your Plowing time and cut even 5 percent off of it. 800 bucks is cheap, even if you just figure gas saved over 1 season. First free set from boss is mine. :)

18. duraplow

duraplow Member

On my way back home tonight I saw a fresh delivery on new stainless DXT moldboards sitting on a trailer outside my dealer... guess I'm gonna have to pay a visit tomorrow and ask about wings too! :)

19. allagashpm

allagashpm Senior Member

I have been looking at buying a set for next season. For those that run them on a 9'2, do they help a lot when going around a tight corner? I have a few drives where the turns are real tight and the back tire pushes more snow into what I plowed. I would imagine the extra width would help but was looking for some real world answers.

20. rob_cook2001

rob_cook2001 2000 Club Member

I have wings on my 9.2dxt and they help all the way around... And Damn she will carry some snow with those wings.