1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plow Wings: Do or Dont

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by tman5065, Sep 26, 2014.

1. tman5065

tman5065 Junior Member

I run a 7.5 Western Pro Plow, and I like my plow and dont really want to spend the money for a new one, but I have been thinking about adding a set of plow wings to it, Do any of you have any experience with them, do you like them? Are they worth the money? Thanks!

2. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

If your doing resi's you may not see a huge difference, but if you're doing commercial work (parking lots) you will kick yourself in the @$$ for not getting wings sooner. You'll find your productivity will easily increase by 25%. I run wings on both of my plows will add them to every new plow I get.

3. gc3

gc3 Senior Member

Like he said

4. maxwellp

maxwellp PlowSite.com Addict

I have them on my plows. Never take them off.

5. ponyboy

ponyboy Senior Member

I am rough on my plows curb to curb I had the western wings and kept bending them
    They are great when not bending back
    Also need to start with New cutting edge and new wings if not wings will wear fast to even out with your cutting edge

6. peteo1

peteo1 PlowSite.com Addict

I respectfully disagree. You'll notice a difference in time in residential as well. A 7.5 plow is OK but add a set of wings and you're 9.5 in a hurry. I'm sorry but I don't care what you're plowing, you add 2' to your blade and you've increased efficiency by a bunch

7. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

You want know something about the western wings I used to bend mine a lot

Once I threaded the pins and bolted them solid to the plow I stop bending them I think them being loose what was causing the wings to bend plus less noise from them the rattling was gone
    I leave them on all the time if I need to take them off 1-1/8 socket to take the lock nuts off

8. ponyboy

ponyboy Senior Member

I did as well but when you have to have curb showing they bend
    I think the money for they they are worth it but don't plow 25mph along curbs and expect them to last
    The contract is worth keeping
    Like I said I know I'm rough

9. aslc

aslc Junior Member
    from iowa

I had the same problem with my Western wings
    My fix was to stop using the western wings. The boss wings will work on the western plows with a little work and they last. Plus you can take them off easy

10. rjigto4oje

rjigto4oje PlowSite.com Addict

i run a set with the yellow urathane its been 5 years since ive replaced them I wouldn't Plow without them

11. Antlerart06

I know about cleaning to the curb I rip off the poly edges a lot

12. Antlerart06

You must not plow much snow then last you 5 years Most I get out of a set is 2 winters if Im lucky I run 5/8'' 8'' cutting edges

13. jturbo86

jturbo86 Junior Member

seems like a cheap added efficiency if you're trying to avoid purchasing a new setup altogether.

14. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

The real question is

Do you work for urself or you a sub?

If a sub, will you get paid extra for them? If so, buy a set, if not, don't.

15. rjigto4oje

rjigto4oje PlowSite.com Addict

I plow commercial account's 1 inch trigger the yellow ones that i got from a place called cpw are 5 season old the black one lasted 1 or 2 seasons at best

16. seville009

seville009 Senior Member
    from CNY

I've got wings on my 8.5' western mvp - they're great. They really help in controlling where the sniw goes because they are angled forward a bit (less spilloff). I keep them on all winter except if we get heavy wet snow.

I had a 7.5' western mvp initially, but you couldn't put wings on that size at the time (2007). Not sure if that's changed.

17. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

You are correct, I was referring to small single wide drives.