1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plow wings/Box wings/turkey wings/ ive exhausted the search button and google........

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by ACA L&L, Dec 29, 2011.

1. ACA L&L

ACA L&L Senior Member

Ive searched plowsite, google, looked at posts from 2004 and on, Im not a fabricater, i can weld good enuff for stuff to hold, but would never charge for it:). im looking for something in the way of push box sides for the plows we run, we currently have 3 plows(western) with buyers wings on all of them but im not satisfied with the scooping ability....... i could be crazy here but I will end my search for "box sides" here and now if my fellow plowers out there agree that the wings are as good as it gets without fabbing something yourself. i saw the demon wings, but im looking for something a bit more tested i guess. I saw the mega scoops, but could not find anything presently available, avalanche sells a push box with sides for trucks, but dont wanna buy a new set up. im happy with the wings, but want to be happier i guess with box ends. if anyone has something that they swear by or an idea i could work on over the summer i would be happy or if they could share a pic or two or maybe a contact to someone that could help me out. I searched for a few hours, so if i missed something pl:dizzy:ease excuse my ignorance in advance, and chaulk it up to me being super tired and over worked......and its only december........thanks in advance if anyone has something for me.....
  2. White Gardens

White Gardens 2000 Club Member

The problem you have is that the blade needs to trip fully. If you had a trip edge plow I think it would be an easier decision.

I'd go with the demon wings personally, or, at least fab up something similar by cutting and tack welding everything together and then taking it to a machine shop and have them weld it up solid for you.

NICHOLS LANDSCA PlowSite Veteran

You'll have to make something yourself, I have an idea that I've been wanting to work on but just haven't gotten around to it. We've made box ends, bigger is better
  4. ACA L&L

ACA L&L Senior Member

I think your 100% on the money with the trip blade VS trip edge......I originally ran 2 meyer plows that had some better options for wings, adjustable blade wings, and so forth......The western wings are nice, but i did not need the pro plus plow here where we plow......dont get me wrong im happy with the wings, i juts think the set up couls be much more efficient......Im very good with wood, i welded my plow hinges for the buyers wings onto the plows and they have held up real nice...........my pops is a great welder, but hes 1800 miles away.......when i bought the welder 10 years ago he was visiting me as we just had my 1st daughter, I learned all I know from him in one night as we fixed a bunch of busted welds on my trailer and lawn equipment......after that its all trial and error.....i would love to buy a plasma cuter, but thats an expensive hobby accesory for me.......I guess i could take a stab at drawing something up, but the full trip thing is my hang up, I see how the some other box ends work but again not the best metal worker........I was hoping for some ideas from my fellows back east as they seem to always have good ideas that come from necessity
  5. ACA L&L

ACA L&L Senior Member

Thats what ive concluded, the demon wings look good, but the seperation at the point where the box end meets the blade would bug the crap outta me with how much they cost.......I can just see it now im pushing a long strip of 2" fresh snow and when they get loaded the trail starts, defeating the purpose of the box end, having to run back not only once but twice to clean up the trails, kinda what happens now with the wings. I almost bought a set of turkey wings on ebay, they had no hardware and was not even sure if they would work, to be honest i dont even know how they are supposed to install, i saw some pics on plowsite but again, not a great metal worker. I think Im juts gonna start with wood this summer and see what happens, my major and only concern is the trip plow, i dont wanna destroy the plow, frame, the wings i build so thats kinda what im hoping to get an idea with.............not sure what company it was but they had a nice set with a portion of the lower halkf being the heavy duty rubber, owell im sure someone will post ba pic with something that they built and will totally open my eyes and mind and then i can stop obcessing over this small lil project and move onto something much more important like enjoying fmily time on my days off instead of searching the net for box ends/scoop blades/wings.......etc. etc....
  6. White Gardens

I think you are over-thinking the Demon wings.

Yes, with the separation you might get some trail off, but the pay-day comes when you load up the blade and are able to push mass amounts of snow where you want it.

Compared to a strait blade or pro-wings, I think you would be quit happy with the results.

7. superdog1

superdog1 Senior Member

Ok, I just went to the website. Now they have the Demon Wing LT's that are almost 1/2 the price. Whats the difference?
  8. White Gardens

There is a Demon Wing Rep on this site, search around and find his thread and maybe you can get the answers you need.

9. ACA L&L

ACA L&L Senior Member

I hear ya, i think i passed the point of over thinking this entire thing a few days ago........the demon wings are nice, real nice, i guess ill take a closer look at them, In no way shape or form was i saying anything negative about them as i have never used or put my eyeballs to them in person other than watching the video. I still remember when he was trying to get them into production, pricing and so on, great idea if u ask me......I think i was just leaning towards more of a fixed type of box but without the trip edge im left sitting on the pier while my buddys are out trolling deeper waters .......Thanks for the replys everyone........the pro wings are working just fine for now, ill keep looking for that edge............
  10. Head1

Head1 Junior Member

Look around for a set of Turkey Wings.
    They will turn your straight blade into a box type unit.
    I have had a set on my Western straight blade for 10 years.

Sadly Roger the turkey wing guy is retired and no one carried on or bought his idea.
    Possibly you could find a used set.
    Search turkeys wings here for pics and info.
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2011
  11. goel

goel PlowSite.com Addict

I have run both box wings and buyers pro wings.

We do not use box wings anymore, they were replaced with pro wings.
  12. ACA L&L

ACA L&L Senior Member

Thanks for the info...........looked at the demon wings again, not sure what the diffrence is between demon wings, demon wings LT........maybe LT is for smaller plows?...
  13. snow patrol

snow patrol Senior Member

WG, Thanks for pointing out the advantages. Its appreciated!

As for the separation concern, I'm not 100% sure but if you're referring to the video where you see the wing pulling away from the side of the plow under a heavy load, that's been remedied. There is bolt about 3/4 of the way up the wing that holds the wing closely to the plow and prevents it from pulling away from the plow.
  14. snow patrol

The Demon Wings LT are made of the same UHMW polyethylene, are installed in the same way, and function in the same way. The difference is that they are a bit smaller, meaning they don't protrude as far toward the front of the plow. That and they are much more affordable. payup

There is a new video of the LTs on our site at www.demonwings1.com (the last one down). Its a simple video but its a view from the front of the truck/plow so it provides a different vantage point than the other videos. If you prefer you can also see it on youtube at the following link:

15. mpgall26

mpgall26 Senior Member

Snow Patrol, is he intention for forward box pushing? I have never seen a real set but it seems they are not really meant for a lot of angled plowing. putting a 45 drag on the fixed vertical wing would seem to destroy it. I have accounts where I need the trail off and could always take off the wing on the trailing edge, but it seems the leading edge would get broken being pushed at 45 across the ground?
  16. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

With them wings on the blade cant trip Right if so that put lot stress on the truck

I made many sets in the 80s kinda like demon wings but mine was made from 1/4 steel was heavy had to beef up the lifting of the western I still have one blade that I still run them on
    If you cant do fab work your best bet will be demon wings they will hold more snow and you be able carry that load farther and easyer to the pile location Demon wings will be less stress on truck and the lift of the plow
  17. Lkohan

Lkohan Junior Member

I am considering the Demon's Wings but I am also concerned when I angle the plow there will be alot of pressure on the one side. I am just unsure what I want to do. I may actually buy a pair and see what happens.
  18. snow patrol

The plowing technique is a bit different when plowing with the Demon Wings, and once you get used to them you will notice that you will not need to windrow snow nearly as much and that in most applications you will be plowing with the plow in a forward position with minimal angling of your plow . That said there may be locations where its more practical to windrow. So to answer your question, you can plow with your plow in an angled position. On most passes during windrowing the leading edge of the plow and wing will not be pushing against snow so excessive pressure is not applied to the wing.
    Additionally, for locations where extensive windrowing is required you can also hold the wings in a retracted position allowing snow to trail off more freely and also address concerns of excessive pressure on the leading edge wing.

I will try to put together a video on the next snow event (hopefully soon) showing the plow windrowing snow to help illustrate it better. Thanks!
  19. NickT

NickT Senior Member

Very good thread guys I'm in
  20. Lkohan

Lkohan Junior Member

OK. Talked to the guys from Demon Wings and I am getting a set of the LT's and give them a try. Look for my order tonight or tomorrow. I will post my comments on here.