1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plow wings...are they worth it?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by DBL, Sep 23, 2008.

1. DBL

DBL PlowSite.com Addict

Don't see too many of them out on the road but one of my trucks has a 7.5' plow and i thought wings might be good for it. Anyone have them?

2. nbenallo33

nbenallo33 Senior Member

wings are awesome to have they save you soo much time! once you use them you wont plow without them... what kind of plow do you have?

3. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

They are worth it in my opinion. I had them on my old Meyers 7.5ft plow.

4. aeronutt

aeronutt Senior Member

I made my own last year for an experiment out of 1/4 inch plate bolted to each end. The plate sticks out about 14 inches from the blade and is 90 degrees from the plow so it doesn't give any extra width, but the box effect drastically cut down on repeat trips down a long row when you need to carry all the snow out to a central pile. No more piddle trails rolling off each side. I think it actually works better than a v-plow in scoop mode because you don't loose any width. The downside is that you have to stop and unbolt a heavy plate before you can windrow. I found that having a plate on only the left side was a great compromise because I could still windrow to the right while taking a wider pass because it didn't spill over the left side so much and carry piles without leaving trails by placing the blade 10 degrees left.

Unfortunately, my effort to improve efficiency ultimately costs me money because I get paid by the hour and the contracts have already been locked in for 2 years. I'll leave the plates home and take longer... Next year maybe I can get more per hour and still save the customer a little money, but this year I can't see giving the customer a free upgrade.

5. iceyman

iceyman 2000 Club Member

ive been waiting for it to happen to someone on here......but in all the 11 hours i plowed last year i loved having the wings:cool:

Last edited: Sep 24, 2008
  6. DuramaxPowered

DuramaxPowered Member

Get the wings they will save you atleast 30% time or more!!! I won't plow without them. I turned my 8 foot western into a 10 foot... They are great.

7. Clapper&Company

Clapper&Company PlowSite Veteran
    from NE OHIO

I love mine

8. cnydreamr

cnydreamr Junior Member

would it be a good idea to use wings on an older boss vplow?

9. nbenallo33

nbenallo33 Senior Member

i know you can use the buyers wings on the straight blade not too sure on the boss V

10. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

sure, I have a set on my 98 RTII.

but.. I had to use a welder and do a little timing.

11. FordFisherman

FordFisherman PlowSite.com Addict
    from 06611

Pro wings are worth every penny...

12. DBL

DBL PlowSite.com Addict

sounds good to me...thanks for the responses

13. polarplowing

polarplowing Member

I have pro wings on my Boss straight blade and really like them, helps push snow straight forward. I also have the Boss wings on my V-plow, and they are the best investment. I can push TONS of snow, similar to a pusher on front end loader (of course on a smaller scale) The Boss wings are rock solid, I had a employee rip off the one of the prowings from pushing into the piles. Other than that wings are a great time saver!

14. yardsmith

yardsmith Senior Member

got em on both my boss v plows- I'll never go back.......

15. snowman79

snowman79 Senior Member
    from MidWest

prowings are awesome...keeps trailoff to a min, and helps push more snow!

16. OfCourseYouCan

OfCourseYouCan Junior Member

added wear and tear on trucks?

Do your trucks with wings seem to hold up well? Years ago my plow dealer recommended against installing them. But....I am very tired of backing up...back and forth and back and forth. Currently I have a 2006 F550 deisel with a Boss V and 2005 Dodge 2500 cummins with a Fisher V. I suspect wings might be handy on 15 of the 45 properties we plow.

Thank:jester:

17. hickslawns

hickslawns Senior Member

I have not noticed any additional wear. Maybe on smaller trucks, but on your trucks they probably won't even notice.

18. ducatirider944

ducatirider944 Senior Member
    from Iowa

Get wings they are a must have on straight blades. No more chasing snowballs all over your lot.

19. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

so can you wing guys give me any any suggestions for a good pair of wings... being mounted on an 8 foot western pro (not a pro plus) ... looking for one that mounts to the side or back some how...im not big on the idea of attaching it to the front of the moldboard dirrectly

20. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

I've got pro wings that were reinforced by the previous owners of my plow. They are a huge time saver.

Elite, the prowings hook to the sides and one hole through the front. I can bring my plow over someday if you would like to check them out. I've found that the single hole through the front is no big deal.