1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plow Wing Movement

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by MJLsLawnCareNmo, Oct 30, 2008.

1. MJLsLawnCareNmo

MJLsLawnCareNmo Senior Member

Okay, I have yet another question about Boss V Plows. The driver's side wing seems to extend a little slower and weaker than the passenger's side wing when moved individually. It retracts fast, but I assume that's because the return spring helps. When moved simultainiously the passenger wing moves out quickly and almost completely while the driver's side barely moves. Once the passenger's side wing is almost out it stops and the driver's side wing moves faster and extends all the way out. Then the passenger's side wing finishes extending about 1 or 2 inches. Is this normal? Like I said even when moving individually the driver's side wing seems a little slower/weaker than the passenger's side.

2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Differences in wing extend speeds are totally normal on a vee due to the priority circuitry in the valve manifold. One circuit will always flow a little more fluid volume by design than an another when connected by a common supply (the pump). And on a Boss, the right wing port is the first one in the circuit for the wing functions.

3. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

what B&B said and the return spring tension can make a difference too.

4. Stud Bro

Stud Bro Senior Member

i had the same thing going on with my plow last year and someone told me to change the fluid i did and it did spead it up alittle bit but one wing is always slower than the other.

5. MJLsLawnCareNmo

Thanks everybody. Just want to make sure that we are all on the same page here. It's normal for the wings to have different extending speeds even when moved individually? Together I can see why since they are in a sense sharing the pressurized hydraulic oil.

6. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

When run individually the left one is normally still slightly slower...but shouldn't be a great deal slower. Could have some debris on the screen on the left wing extend valve. Easy enough to pull it out and check it.

7. MJLsLawnCareNmo

Yeah it's not TOO different but noticable. It wouldn't be a bad idea to check out though just in case while I still have time. Where and how do I check this screen? Thanks again.

8. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

The left wing extend valve is the one in the very bottom row on the underside of the manifold (facing down), it will be the furtherest most valve to the driver side.