1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plow will not raise (its not pump or fuild problem)

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by freundazzle, Jan 4, 2009.

1. freundazzle

freundazzle Junior Member

I have a cable operated electric hydraulic western straight plow on my 1990 chevy pickup and have recently been having problems with my blade not raising.

I asked the plow dealer up where I live and he thought it was the pump. He had me angle it and my power angle had good pressure left and right.

So he thought maybe the cable to my T-stick was streched. I replaced the lift lower cable and adujusted it properly and had no success.

I pulled my pump and cleaned the filter and checked the pump the fluid is full I replaced the seals on the ram...

The plow will raise If there is no load on it
    ie.( ram into snowbank and there is zero weight on the ram)

There is now water in the system not milky or anything.

Could the lift valve need to be cleaned? If so how what is the best way to go about it?

2. no lead

no lead PlowSite.com Addict

pull the lift cable on the power unit. run the lever w/ pliers while someone works the controller. does it go up? down? if not does the motor run?
  3. freundazzle

freundazzle Junior Member

I have tried that but with a screwdriver while someone runs the controller it will go down and it will go left and right.

The motor turns on but the ram will not raise...
  4. tike

tike Junior Member

download the manual and do major adjustment to lift valve