1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plow will not go up, high...

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by PGHplowguy, Dec 8, 2013.

1. PGHplowguy

PGHplowguy Senior Member

Hey guys. I have a Western Ultra Mount. The truck and plow is run off of central hydraulics. Thus the plow does not have it's own independent motor. I was plowing and noticed that my plow was close to the ground when up all the way. I shortened the chain links and raised it up. Well it happened again...

Known information:

The PTO and central hydraulics are working fine.
    The hydraulic lines are fine, no leaking.
    There is nothing restricting the actuator from going up all the way.
    The actuator is only being raised about 5 inches. It should go up/out much more.

If I hold the lever to make it go up higher, it will not. It will either make noise and or shut the truck off.

Why is it only going that far? Think that the actuator is the sole problem? Will replacing it solve the problem?

Thanks for the help.
  2. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

Sounds like damaged/bent lift ram.
  3. Affordable Arbo

Affordable Arbo Junior Member

Did you check fluid level in the reservoir ?
  4. PGHplowguy

PGHplowguy Senior Member

Yes. The hydraulic fluid level is fine. The angle cylinders, dump, auger and spinner all work perfectly. I really think it is the hydraulic cylinder/actuator. But just do not understand how it will only go up a little bit and not all the way.
  5. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Like was said maybe its bent. Take the chains off, take the hose off try and pull the piston out of the casing.
    Is the piston scored? Or look worm
  6. Affordable Arbo

Affordable Arbo Junior Member

Plow Not Going Up

Try your settings on the soilenoid maybe one is out of adjustment.
    Un hook plow and see if piston goes up with no wieght.
    Check for foriegn object wedged in pivot points