1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plow will not go down

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by Rocker, Dec 22, 2008.

1. Rocker

Rocker Junior Member

My plow is stuck in the up position and will not go down. Can someone help with this problem? Thanks
  2. no lead

no lead PlowSite.com Addict

put the control into float and wiggle the power wires. unplug plow and check the pins. please specify plow.
  3. Rocker

Rocker Junior Member

Ok. Where are the pins? It is a western plow not sure what year. The plow will go up, side to side but not down. Could it be that I used the wrong kind of hydralic fluid, not for -10 degrees
  4. no lead

no lead PlowSite.com Addict

the pins are in the power cables. unplug the plow from the truck. look into the plugs. are there a bunch of pins? 9 pin uni mount. 12 pin ultra mount. if it goes up/left/right,it would have to come down.
  5. Rocker

Rocker Junior Member

It's an old unimount cable style plow. Doesn't have wiring harness. It has 4 gauge wire from the battery to the pump.
  6. Mike N

Mike N Senior Member

Pull the plates off where the cables go into the pump unit and see if there's ice in there.
  7. Rocker

Rocker Junior Member

There is no ice but the cable needs to be adjusted. Just found this out when I was out there about an hour ago. I will adjust and see what happens. Thanks
  8. zmowing

zmowing Junior Member

plow won't go down

We had the same problem with our plow (wouldn't go down) everything else worked, Pluged in new controller works great now.
  9. ParadiseLS

ParadiseLS Junior Member

this has happened to me twice this year. The first time I drove over a few speedbumps which jolted the plow such that it dropped and worked great for the rest of the night. Second time was last week and I figured I would do the same thing. Didn't work, drove 30 minutes to the 24-hour service place and right as I'm getting there the plow drops and again worked fine for the night. Just got back from Christmas holiday and I'm going to check out wiring and everything today.