1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plow Whips ?? and Ballast ??

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Wicked500R, Nov 16, 2007.

1. Wicked500R

Wicked500R Senior Member

Does anyone use the Fluorescent Orange 3/4" blade guides ? How do they hold up to abuse? I'm not sure what kind of whips I want to use. I think any kind of factory ones are going to be too short.

What are you guys with pick-ups using for ballast? I'm trying to think of something that is easy to load and unload.
  2. canoebuildah

canoebuildah Senior Member

Tube sand - 70 lbs per bag. Cheap and easy to get. Built a wood crib to hold them in place behind the axle. 14 bags = exact weight of my 810.
  3. RipT

RipT Senior Member

And cover them with something....plywood or truck bed mat or something to keep the sun off them. The ones I have used in recent years sun-rot in less than a season, used to get 2 to 3 years out of them.
  4. stroker79

stroker79 2000 Club Member

My Dad has those orange guide sticks and I personally do not like them. They are bright as hell and almost hard to focus on. They have lasted at least a few years so far. Just saw his plow today and they are still super bright.
  5. NoFearDeere

NoFearDeere PlowSite.com Addict

I have the huge orange blade guides and love them. Lasted 1.5 years so far and no signs of having any problems.
  6. canoebuildah

canoebuildah Senior Member

Yes, I forgot to mention that covered it with a sheet of luan with hinges on one side and a hasp on the other. That way they are secured but I can still pull one or two out as needed.
  7. Jay brown

Jay brown PlowSite.com Addict

i use the bigger 36" ones and mount them lower on the prowings and run them straight up instead of mounting them on the plow at an angle.
  8. Snowpower

Snowpower Senior Member

I have them only because my truck has a lift and the stock ones are harder to see. I dont like the bright orange against my yellow plow and am gonna try to run the stockers this year.

Be careful of letting the blade come back fast after tripping. Those 36 inchers will whip the front fenders or hood, and can do more damage than you think. Trust me.

Oh and if you want to save the little black tips....take them off and superglue them on or kiss them goodbye too.
  9. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

I have a bumper made of C channel filled with lead, slips into my receiver hitch. weight ~#500