1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plow whines and moves but times out

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by DJs Lawncare, Nov 15, 2007.

1. DJs Lawncare

DJs Lawncare Member

I have a 2000 Ford F-250 with a 7'5" minute mount 1 plow. I went to put the plow on this year and the motor/pump whines when I try to lift the blade. The fluid looks to be alright. The blade moves up a little but to get it up about 6" you have to hold the up button until it "times" out and do it again 2 more times. Also last year a few times when we were running the plow the voltage would drop down to 8 volts sometimes killing the battery. I replaced the battery since then. Any ideas as to what it could be or what to check?
  2. streetsurfin'

streetsurfin' Senior Member

I would pull the motor and check the bushings. Sounds like the armature may be shorting causing the excessive draw. I remember it being more of a growl though, but maybe it did whine at the start of mine going bad.
  3. DeereGuy

DeereGuy Senior Member

The last time that happened to me it was on a fairly new Fisher. Short chained it and brought it to the dealer in the middle of a snowstorm. Turns out the fill tube fell into the resiviourf(sp). You know what I mean. Starved for fluid it made that whining noise with no hydro working. For what it's worth
  4. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member

is this an insta-act or an hvlp system?
  5. DJs Lawncare

DJs Lawncare Member

Its an inst act hydraulics
  6. Brian Simmons

Brian Simmons PlowSite.com - Sponsor

Couls be pickup tube or low pump pressure. On the passenger side of the block will be two relief valves. Screw the one on the bottom closest to the reservoir all the in and backout 2 1/2 turns. This resets it to factory settings.
  7. chaseatg

chaseatg Member

You might also have a early insta act hyd pack. Pull the motor off and locate the boss plug located under the motor, check to see if there is a spring and ball under the boss plug, if so remove them.
  8. DJs Lawncare

DJs Lawncare Member

Well I pulled the filter and cleaned some debris off of it. I changed the fluid in the spring but I don't know if it got crap in it over the summer, It goes up now. But if you hit left it goes up and right does nothing.
  9. streetsurfin'

streetsurfin' Senior Member

I guess you can ignore my earlier suggestion about motor bushings then. I was thinking it was the SEHP. Now what you describe sounds like a problem in whatever is regulating oil flow...the spool valves or what controlls them. Itg sounds like within the valve body but I am not familiar with insta-act. Spool valves that get a piece of debris in them or have a nicked seal or o-ring can hang in between their proper positions and send oil in the wrong or multiple directions.
  10. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Your S2 valve isn't functioning..
    It'll go up instead of left and it will not angle right if the S2 doesn't open..
    Check the coil for magnetism with the control held in the angle right position.

If it has magnetism, pull the valve and check the spool with a small screw driver to see if it will move..

If it doesn't have magnetism, first check for power and ground at the coil. If no power, then check it at the grill connector pin.
    The S2 is the one in the middle of the three valve's. (Lt. green wire)

For some reason, it seems that when you have a valve problem with an Insta-act pump, it's always the S2 valve...
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2007
  11. Sounds like he's got the classic wiring harness problem. They all do that when the wiring harness fails. I've seen it at least 15 times in 3 years. Unless it's under warranty Fisher won't help you.
  12. DJs Lawncare

DJs Lawncare Member

Yup finally brought it to the shop yesterday. The main harness from the truck (3 pin) was bad. They had to replace the end. It is working fine now. Thanks for everybody's help.