1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plow when parked????

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by indianabc, Dec 26, 2003.

1. indianabc

indianabc Member

What are you guys doing when you are parked for a short period. Do you leave your blade up in travel or do you lower it down. It seems like a pain to turn on my controller and then lower the blade to run in for a cup of coffee. Any thoughts?

2. ratlover

ratlover PlowSite.com Addict
    from IL

to much of a PITA to turn on the controler and set it to float?

not a likelyhood but I wouldnt want to have it crush someones foot :eek:

its probably a non issue but I'm in the habit of droping the blade when I get out weather it be for the night or to get a cup of java, it dosnt hurt anything by any means and its just not that hard to do

3. Joel B.

Joel B. Senior Member
    from MN

I have been wondering the same thing. I put my plow down in case a hose gives way or something I don't want it falling on someone's foot. Plus, it lets the truck "rest" a little.

On another note, in the first post (by indianabc) the word "travel" is highlighted on my computer and is a link to Priceline.com. Does this show up on anyone else's computer, or do I have a bug or something?

Thanks,

Joel B.

4. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

plow down sometimes i rest with it neutral to cool the tranny a bit and yes it up a pile of snow so it dosent roll

5. ratlover

ratlover PlowSite.com Addict
    from IL

dont notice the travel thing??? maybe your computer is telling you you need a vacation? ;)

6. ProEnterprises

ProEnterprises Senior Member
    from CT

lol joel...maybe you have an adware bug on your comp that is just picking up key words that are somehow linked into you rfavorites or preferences on your computer.

as for the plow issue, just drop it...its not that hard, leaves a 0% chance of an accident as gives the front end of the truck a rest.

7. The Boss

The Boss 2000 Club Member

Doesn't matter if it's for a coffe break, all night or to take a leak, it allways goes down. Easier on the truck. If it's a PITA for someone to put it down for any of these reasons, why do they plow snow all night or day?:rolleyes:

8. badranman

badranman Senior Member

I do it to give the torsion bars a break.

9. Heron Cove PM

Heron Cove PM Senior Member

I DROP IT all the time. Same reasons as above.

10. oldmankent

oldmankent PlowSite.com Addict

Yes, I drop it too for all the reasons above. I'm running a mac and the word travel came up as just the word travel. No link.

11. smwmarc

smwmarc Junior Member
    from Maine

ProEnterprises, you maybe right about that, although it isn't really funny. I read an article about something like what you are experiencing. It is too lengthy and off topic for this thread, but you can email me and I will share it with you. You can find my address in my profile.

Oh yeah, and put the blade down. You don't leave your pants zipper down when you park your a$$ do you. :nono:

Last edited: Dec 27, 2003
  12. WOODY367

WOODY367 Senior Member
    from LI, NY

I lower mine when ever I leave the truck or stop for a break. I know a few guys the leave it up all the time even when parked over night.

13. PROPJCKEY

PROPJCKEY Senior Member

drop the damn thing.....its a whole lot cheaper than suspension parts later.
    -Jeff-

14. kipcom

kipcom Senior Member
    from Indiana

Like in the military ( for those who have served or are serving ) "Parade ..resssst " > that would be blade down when parked :D and 1 more note of interest.... keep the blades off when not plowing !!! why do so many plowers have to "show-off" and drive around with the plow on ???:eek: all it does is create un-necessary stress on the front suspension The O'l wise plowman once say.....plow on,,,,,plow off ..snow on ground, plow on,,,,NO snow on ground, plow OFF !!!

15. The Boss

The Boss 2000 Club Member

16. J.Henderson

J.Henderson Senior Member

I see trucks parked all the time with blades raised. Even when they are parked overnight. Are people that lazy or forgetful to lower a blade. I think as eveyone else says that it rests the truck suspension. I think its easier on the hydraulic system on the plow too.

17. Mdirrigation

Mdirrigation Senior Member

I have a wooden block 4 x 4 in each truck , when we are done I drop the blade on the wood. It prevents the blade from freezing to the ground.

18. avalancheplow

avalancheplow Senior Member

I use to always put it down, but now no matter what i leave it up at least three or four inches in the air. In the next town over to me there have been 9 plows stolen (mostly fishers) in the past couple of months. The Car dealerships are leaving them up all the time now too. 4 out 6 dealerships have had the plows stolen. One guy I know had is truck stolen one night and found it a week later with just the plow and everything to do with the plow stolen.

19. Lbilawncare

Lbilawncare Senior Member

We put ours down for safety and suspension rest. It also sucks to bump into the corner of the cutting edge after getting a cup of coffee. Avalanche- where are the dealers located that someone could steal the plows off of them, sounds like they were parked in a bad spot- shouldn't have mattered though. I can't believe someone would steal a plow off of a truck.

20. SIPLOWGUY

SIPLOWGUY Senior Member

Plow down!!! I take care of my truck and it does the same for me. Besides after all the coffee I drink it's too long to leave the blade up when I need to drain the monster!:D