1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plow Wheels

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Chuck Smith, Jan 13, 2002.

1. Chuck Smith

Chuck Smith 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

I noticed a set of wheels on the back of a sub's new Western Pro Plow. I asked him where he got them, and he said it was an option from the dealer. I asked if it was from Western, but he wasn't sure, just said the dealer recommended them. They fit in the shoe mounts, and fold up out of the way. Looked real slick. It's about time some one invented them.

Anyone know if this is Western or aftermarket? Well I answered my own question.

[​IMG]

Western makes them. They are on the Western site under Accessories.

Anyone know how much they cost?

~Chuck

Last edited: Jan 13, 2002
  2. BushHogBoy

BushHogBoy Senior Member

Chuck, have you ever seen a DOT dump truck with a 4 way on it? ( or been too bizzy lookin at your own rigs? :) ) well anyhow they have BIG casters on their plows, maybe 8 or 10" diameter. At least our DOT trucks have 'em. yes it's a good idea.
    Eric

3. Chuck Smith

Chuck Smith 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

Eric,

The Western wheels are for moving the plow around when it's off the truck. Makes getting into the back of a garage, under a shelf a snap.

The DOT type plows with wheels use the wheels in place of shoes. I know my town was using wheels when they tried rubber edges. Some of the plows still have rubber edges and wheels, but not the new Western plows they have gotten over the past few years.

Many of the plows at Denver International Airport had wheels too. I noticed when we took the tour there back in June.
    Seems with the OEM transport wheels, a set of plow dollies wouldn't be necessary. I would imagine all the other plow makers will follow in suit in the future and offer the wheels.

~Chuck

4. diginahole

diginahole Member

I have a set of those on my 10' heavy weight, came std on the plow when I bought it new 4 years ago. I park my plows on gravel over the summer so I still haven't got to try them out. I think i will take them off the HW and put them on the 8' straight 'cause I might have a better chance of lifting the frame and pushing that around by hand.

5. sidewing

sidewing Junior Member

Hi Chuck:

We have a set of the Western wheels on our 7.5' Pro Plow.

I think we paid around $150 CDN, so that's about $20 USD (actually, more like $100).

Probably wouldn't do it again, but that's because our plow is usually left on grass or gravel. They work well on hard (paved) surfaces to move the blade around.

They are certainly well-engineered, just depends where you leave the blade.

6. BushHogBoy

BushHogBoy Senior Member

Chuck,
    gee for some reason i thought they were for when plowing! that would be a joke now that i think about it, they are so little and not even casters. they wouldn't last one parking lot! Casters vs shoes seem a good idea though, do they offer that for p/u truck plows? BTW, do you use shoes on a gravel drive or just lift it a little to keep everything off?
    Eric

7. #1 plowtech

#1 plowtech Senior Member

Western list price on plow dolly wheels 159.36 as of 01-01-2002

They mount on the backside of the shoe bracket w/ 2 bolts.
    As far as the "3rd" wheel, you must have a functional kickstand. Western has been using thes for about 2 years and let me say it works awesome. You can push around even your HW plow.

Have a nice day, PT.

8. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

How about adding these wheels (or similiar) and then replacing the Jack with a trailer wheeled jack? This would allow better adjustment and mobility.

9. wrtenterprises

wrtenterprises Member

The plow wheels look to be a great piece, but I bought a set of snowmobile dolly's from Northern tool for $44.99!!! Each dolly is rated for 500lbs, and (2) of them have a groove manufactured in the dolly so the blade stays put. It handles my 8' Western Pro with no problem. Just drive the nose of the SuperDuty in the garage dump off the plow, and wheel the entire asembly into the corner.

Save the money and check out Northens catalog....

10. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

Look at plow dolly. The link is at the top of the page.