1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plow weight on a half ton

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by cliobis, Jan 6, 2014.

1. cliobis

cliobis Junior Member

Hi guys,

What would the maximum weight of a plow be for a Ram 1500?
  2. Stik208

Stik208 PlowSite.com Addict

Any of the above manufacturers have a matching system, put the info in and it tells you the answer.
  3. Triton2286

Triton2286 Senior Member

Can we please just let this be the only answer? Just once? lol
  4. Stars & Stripes Landscaping

Stars & Stripes Landscaping Junior Member

If only that was the simple answer...

I go onto the Boss site for instance... click their plow selector and go through the required boxes...until I get to "Bed Length" then all it gives me is an asterisk... I have a 2006 Chevy Silverado 1500 Regular Cab 4.8 V8 w/ a short bed... apparently that's no good for a Boss Standard Duty plow?
  5. Triton2286

Triton2286 Senior Member

Boss won't let me put a plow on the truck in my sig either.

But the guy probably hasn't searched at all himself, nor do we have enough info on his truck. Why should we always do the work for people?
  6. 2006Sierra1500

2006Sierra1500 PlowSite.com Addict

Your truck can hold a 650 lb plow no problem. Maintenance will be more than an HD but I would not hesitate to throw a 7'6'' HD on there.
  7. JustJeff

JustJeff PlowSite.com Addict

When you see those asterisks click on them, then you can move on to the next field. The asterisks mean that there is only one option. I ran your's through the plow selector for Boss and it says that you can put on a 7'-6 " V blade, and several others (including the Standard Duty that you mentioned). I'd personally go with the most plow you can put on your truck, and out of the ones that Boss suggests for your truck it would be the seven and a half foot V blade.
  8. cliobis

cliobis Junior Member

How is it doing work for other people? And what would make you think that i havent searched myself? I have found multiple different answers in a wide range of numbers. So i figured I would ask here thinking that maybe other people would comment on the weight of what they have on theirs. There really is no need to be a dick about it
  9. cliobis

cliobis Junior Member

Would it be a big mistake to put a 850 lb plow on it?
  10. Triton2286

Triton2286 Senior Member

Well if you have done your research then you would know that telling us that you have a Ram 1500 is the same thing as saying that you have a truck and you want to put a plow on it.

We don't know what year, cab size, bed size, engine, or FGAWR.

So yea, us having to ask you these questions is us having to do the work.
  11. cliobis

cliobis Junior Member

ok.. i was just looking for a general answer. but truck is a 2010 quad cab 6'4 bed. 5.7 hemi 4x4. has 2.5 inch level kit.
  12. Triton2286

Triton2286 Senior Member

There is no general answer though. Some guys will just throw out a plow for you but if you plug all your information into the manufacturers websites they will tell you the largest plow you can put on it.

Then once you have that most guys here will tell you to go a size or two bigger since the plow manufacturers take into account the possibility of you having a fully loaded down truck.
  13. cliobis

cliobis Junior Member

Alright thanks man. That is what I was looking for. Just because the manufacturer says one thing doesnt mean that is what the real answer is. I was looking at a bigger plow. around 850 lbs. but just dont want to make a mistake putting it on there
  14. JustJeff

JustJeff PlowSite.com Addict

You could put an eight foot MD plow on there from Snowdogg, or a Snoway 26" and be within manufacturer's specs. You could also go a little heavier if you want, but 850 pounds is a whole lot of weight on a half-ton truck. I just got rid of an '07 Ram half-ton with a hemi on it for that very reason. Now I've got a three quarter ton Ram and I have it overloaded as well. I put a thousand pound plow on it and shouldn't have done it according to the manufacturer. But I feel a lot more confident doing this with a three quarter ton truck vs. a half-ton.
  15. FisherVMan

FisherVMan Senior Member

Well if you listen to the dealer maybe a cardboard plow?

Don't want to lock horns on here with anyone that is too dealer oriented and really don't want to argue about it at all, but there is an awful lot of dribble nowadays, on the internet, about half ton trucks and how little they will carry, and that you may not even be able to plow 2" of fluffy snow with them anymore? And it has even gotten to the point, that if they keep on ,the plows would have to be either made of plastic or tinfoil, or it will collapse the whole front end in less than 50 miles , and voiding of warrantees etc, [sounding a lot like Obamacare] "do as I say"or you will pay the price !!!

Here is a picture of a half ton pickup with an 830 lb plow on it that has plowed continuesly,and commercially for four years , does it look like its sagging???[​IMG]
    The truck has been plowing as one account; a camp road that is ONE and a HALF MILES ,of woods road ,in Northern Maine where[150"] a year of snow is common and 200" possible [2009] on DIRT roads, and 1-2ft of snow per storm not uncommon to have to plow , this is not a Walmart parking lot sorta plowing , and it works perfectly on the truck???? How could that be possible??? As the chart doesn't mention it ??and the dealer will void your warrantee?? and Obama will fine you, and back in England they would even tell you what church you had to go to :nod:
    OK.............................. well maybe but I don't think so....................;)
    Here is a video of plowing with a little half ton ............ see what you think of this much snow infront of your truck, its pushing it and winging back the 4ft banks with the wing extension, at the same time ??
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2014
  16. Hotfeet

Hotfeet Member

Has anyone here ever used the extra support from something like Timbren Suspension add on. What about adding these to help the above mentioned half ton concerns. I have looked at them for years and now have added a half ton and I am really thinking about trying a set. Any experience would be helpful. Thanks
  17. FisherVMan

FisherVMan Senior Member

Here is a hint hotfeet,

Timbrens are very common on plow trucks [3/4 tons included] and of course the first common course of action , as soon as one finds out his truck has almost "car" springs under it , is to just put the proper HD springs under it,[they are actually not that expensive] The airbags and timbrens are fine, but don't really replace being sprung correctly to begin with , In Canada the half tons were still offered with an HD package, same as they used to be here in the US , it was called a "snowplow pckg" and used to have the 7700 GVW springs [LT 3/4 ton] and had 7 lugs wheels , bigger rear ends, HD shocks , bigger axles, HD transmission , and a lot of other stuff , but the public was much more interested in power windows and cruise control so that's just what the manufactures gave them, most of this stuff is included in a Silverado or XLT sorta package, but you get the whimpy transmission and axles and everything else that goes with a standard half ton trucks, it is far from ready to plow with,

Timbrens are fine and if your just plowing your driveway they are a good compromise but certainly wont turn a half ton into a HD 3/4 ton, and for what ever its worth , we have run them for years on different trucks and I suspect that with the spring overloaded and being whacked down and bottoming out the timbren being in there seams to increase the chance of breaking a spring and I am only guessing its because the spring doesn't rebound the same as it would it the timbren wasn't there????? But not sure on that just know I have broken some springs using them and have other friends that noticed it as well , they are a good rig but remember if the whole weight of the truck is now riding on a TIMBREN that IS NOT much of a suspension anymore is it?????? Good Luck
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2014
  18. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

Check the door label.
  19. 32vld

32vld Senior Member
    from LI, NY

People forget that back in the day most pickups plowing were 1/2 tons. They never had DRW pickups. 3/4's were not as common, and you did not see 1 ton's all that often. Then add that all pickups including 1/2 tons all have had their load and towing ratings greatly increased. They were rarely 4wd and most had 6 cylinders.
  20. FisherVMan

FisherVMan Senior Member

Half ton that made it 31 years!

There was an old Dodge half ton here in town that a fella bought new in 1977 , he plowed a dozen driveways here and all of them were just dirt ones, he used it until 1987 when he passed away , and his son in law inherited it and used it constantly to plow commercially for the next twenty years! I was looking the plow over a few years back and it was a standard 7 1/2ft Fisher and I was amazed how it had taken the test of time, the frame finally got so bad on the orginal truck that they had bought another Dodge 1990 model and wore it out and it rusted out with the same plow on it and in 2011 he bought a 2002 Dodge 3/4 ton with a Fisher 8' plow on it , but that old Fisher had gone thru TWO trucks and would have had unknown thousands of hours plowing on it. I don't know how you could ever expect anything more from an outfit than 33 years of service???? It will be interesting to see how many of the new "wonder" plows are still around in 33 years wont it???:eek: