1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plow weight / 06 Duramax / Go smaller?

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by shaltac, Oct 17, 2007.

1. shaltac

shaltac Junior Member

Hey all I purchased a leftoever 06 2500HD Duramax (single cab - work truck - plow prep - tow package) last May. It came with an 8' Pro Plow / Ultramount / Cab command on it. I lifted the truck up with a floor jack to get the feet down on the plow, and removed it (then removed the reciever brackets as they scraped on every bump - stupid low front end). Well it is coming to the season when we might get snow. I'm using it to plow my personal driveway and parking areas (big old farm house 600 + feet of driveway). I've gone from the stock 245/75-16's to the optional 265/75-16's, and had the torsion bar cranked up ~2". I can now drive in under the plow and hook it up as designed (without physically jacking the truck up each time).

Being that it is an already front heavy Diesel truck, that has a tendency to sit low, and when I put the plow on it really squishes the D rated tires at 50PSI...

Should I just suck it up for the little bit of plowing I'm doing, or find a lighter - servicable plow? Is there a lighter blade for this frame? Will a 7.5' blade be significantly lighter?

Opinions welcomed.

Thanks
    Rusty

2. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Your truck will easily handle that plow. Crank the tb's a couple more turns and or put timbren's in.

3. mike psd

mike psd PlowSite.com Addict
    from pa

don't down grade on HD plow for an 3/4 or 1 ton truck . keep with HD blade i'm also with dave on that thorw alittle ballest in the back too help flaten out the truck and keep those rear truck biting with all the torque coming from that diesel

4. Q101ATFD

Q101ATFD Senior Member

First off - I would not even put a plow on a diesel truck with D rated tires. I would upgrade to E's, at least on the front end. With the diesel and plow, you are getting real close to 4800# on the front end. I have seen D rated tires that have an axle capacity of 4670#. Depending on who makes your tires and the max PSI, you are looking at big problems even for minor plowing.

Second, the truck will handle the plow fine. Don't bother cranking the t-bars up any more than you have already - just install a set of timbrens. Once you put in a set of timbrens, your truck will squat less than an inch when you raise the plow.

5. Stovezbt

Stovezbt Junior Member

My 05 handles my pro plus fine. That is an 8 footer plus western's wings. You should also verify what PSI your tires should run at, plus as the size of the tire goes up the they usually only carry a d rating. I have 285's with a d rating, and have a max weight rating of 3305 per tire at 65 psi. So you cannot just go by the letter rating.

I run into problems as ice builds up after hours of plowing making the truck heaver, thus reducing ground clearance. I run timbrens, but am planning on replacing the front shock with the new ride rite air bag over stocks to keep my mount clearance high enough to clear curbs.

good luck

Last edited: Oct 20, 2007