1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plow w/o plow prep

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by TEX, Dec 6, 2007.

1. TEX

TEX Senior Member

so how bad is it to put a plow (extream-V) on my truck which does not have the plow prep?

2. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Really depends on what size alternator you've got now. Most plow prep packages are mainly a bigger alt. Try it like it is and if the battery is slow to recover, just have a bigger alternator put on it. Usually, everything else doesn't affect performance (like roof light wiring, oil pan guard etc). You might also need a radiator fan, but with a 2500, you might have that already.

3. TEX

TEX Senior Member

well i have the diesel so im guessing it has the biggest alt on it now.

what does a plow prep add to the truck with a diesel in it?

4. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

As far as I know. My truck doesn't have the plow prep, but what the heck do I need a skid plate for?? Gimmick!

5. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Your truck came standard with a 136 amp alternator and 600 amp battery. There is an upgrade available to 160 amp alternator and 750 amp battery. For performance, I'd say that's probably it. I'd try it with the standard alt and battery and upgrade if the plow put much of a drag on them.

6. Mudman78

Mudman78 Senior Member
    from NJ

Plow prep package also comes with stiffer front coil springs.

7. TEX

TEX Senior Member

stiffer than the ones that come if you have a diesel?

8. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

Also not on the list is.
    aux tranny cooler
    aux power stering cooler
    hd transfercase
    alt.
    wirring harness.

Their are some more little added goodies also to the plow prep group that are not listed

9. 06slvrctd

06slvrctd Member

No plow prep on mine, I just upgraded the front coil springs to the heaviest available and the truck holds my Blizzard 810 just fine. I figured the diesel would come stock with the heaviest springs, but boy was I wrong.

10. Mudman78

Mudman78 Senior Member
    from NJ

Yes. There's stickers on the coils with numbers. This is from another board:

"So, I've read about the coil spring's weight rating and what springs came out with different trucks. My springs are a tag # 039 on the drivers side and 038 on the passenger side. A plow prep truck will have a 047 and 046 spring. A cab and chassis has a 048 spring on both sides. The higher the number the more weight the spring can carry. A 038 spring can handle 1500lbs, a 048 can handle 2200 lbs. All of them are the same height and came on 2500 and 3500 trucks (cab chassis is only 048)."

11. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

Mines a 6 speed so no tranny cooler on that one.
    HD transfer case? How many do they offer in a 2500?
    I might look into springs, but they don't take weight off the front axle, ballast does. My trucks sags about 2 inches with no ballast and an 8' blade.
    I do have the 136 amp alternator, but I have 750 amp batteries. Easy upgrade to the bigger alt.
    Wiring harness? What's that.
    Power steering cooler? I guess that could be helpful, I'll have to see if I have one already but I don't remember seeing one.
    I have 11.5 gears too.

A truck without the "plow prep" can plow. Might just be harder to make any warranty claims, but my 70k warranty is long gone and my motor has about 2300 miles left of it's warranty.....It's mine to do as I wish now.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2007
  12. TEX

TEX Senior Member

i think you mean you have an 11.5 ring gear. which all do. the gears are either 3.73 or 4.10

not trying to be an a** just some info.

13. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

14. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

15. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

What trucks do you have SnoFarmer? I think Dodge, but some details would be nice.[/QUOTE]

74 W200 snow-comander
    98 2500, 8800lb, plow prep, tow group, 4:10, hd transfer case, lsd etc etc........
    01 2500, 8800lb, plow prep, tow group, camper package 4:10,
    hd transfer case, lsd,etcetc..
    http://www-5.dodge.com/vehsuite/VehicleCompare.jsp

chose the 2500 and make sure you chose a 4x4. gasser
    i clicked on AXLES - GEAR RATIOS
    options include
    3.73 Axle Ratio Details A
    4.10 Axle Ratio Details A
    3.42 Axle Ratio
    --------------------------------

16. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

Cool. That W200 must be a beast.

My T-case is a NV271HD, manual shift. The Hemis get a lighter T-case, so that must be what they put on in the "plow prep" on those.