1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plow w/mind of its own... Please help.

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by deebo1133, Nov 30, 2009.

1. deebo1133

deebo1133 Member

Plow worked great before I tore it down for rehab. Got it all back together and tried it out to make sure it was functioning correctly. At first it would raise and lower like normal but would not move side to side. Motor would run just fine, but no movement. Took solinoids apart to test, reclean, etc. Did the same thing, but after trying a few times something seemed to break loose. After that it started doing all sorts of goofy things. Might move right when pushing up on controller, move right when pushing left, etc. I did some searching, but is a hard thing to even search this answer out.

The plow is a Boss 7'6" standard duty w/everything on board w/ plow. Can anyone get me started in the right direction?

2. no lead

no lead PlowSite.com Addict

i am going to say bad ground to the valve section. take a set of jumpercables and hook to battery neg post. hook other end to the VALVE block and try it.

3. Deco

Deco Senior Member

check fluid level ? check fuses ? wiring harness ?

4. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Sounds like the angle valve is sticking closed and then open...probably due to debris in the system from having it disassembled.

Also try a spare controller if you can get your hands on one to rule it out as the cause, or hot wire it at the controller plug with a few jumpers to check for correct plow operation. You can download the wiring and pinout charts to do so from Boss's website.

5. deebo1133

deebo1133 Member

The controller is brand new as well as all the truckside wiring. Everything worked great before we disassembled for blasting and paint. Never messed w/wiring etc after it worked correctly. Was just putting new fluid in system. Filled up and was running pump to get fluid through the system. I believe B&B is on the money. I spoke w/a friend of mine who is a Boss installer since I posted this and he thinks the same thing. Is this something that is repairable, or is it a replacement item? Any other tips as far as proceeding w/cleaning or servicing the hydraulic switch?

6. deebo1133

deebo1133 Member

The solonoid is magnetizing. We ran a ground as well to check this.

7. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

You can just replace the valve itself. Two minute job.

I assume you did a drain and refill during the disassembly? Use any thread tape or thread sealer on any fittings?

8. deebo1133

deebo1133 Member

Did a drain and refill and my buddy told me not to use any thread sealer before hand. And I really appreciate the help!

9. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Ok then replace the valve and you should be good to go. However I would recommend removing the reservoir too and give it a good cleaning if you didn't do so while you had the plow disassembled. May have dislodged some crud from the bottom from handling the pump unit if you had it removed from the lift tower.

Just one of the basic things that should be done anyway every few years regardless. :nod:

10. deebo1133

deebo1133 Member

Ok, thank you much. I will report back w/results.

11. deebo1133

deebo1133 Member

Found out two way valve was $200 so tried flushing reservoir and removal and cleaning of the valve. Put everything back together. Lifted plow up, moved plow back and fourth quite a few times infill I was just about satisfied problem was fixed. All of a sudden, quit working again. This time it wasn't going every which way, just stopped angling left. We then decided to do the easy things first and put all new electrical crimp connections on at the angle solonoid. In the process of this whole deal, my brights on just the plow lights quit working. Did some testing there and figured out we were getting voltage at the truck side plug, but not through the plow side harness. We then discovered if you wiggled the plug around a little, you could get brights back. Have now replaced plow side connector on wiring harness and I have not been able to make it fail since.

So I believe in the end, not only did I have electrical problems, but possibly dirt making that valve stick
    open from time to time as well. Thanks a bunch to all who helped me figure out this mess!

12. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Yes then you had more than a single issue but the angle issue would have been due to the debris in the system, because you had mag on the angle valve when you checked it so it wasn't an electrical issue at the plug causing that problem. But the debris in the systems certainly could. :nod: