1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plow w/ a 2003 ford Ranger, Am I crazy?

Discussion in 'Residential Snow Removal' started by tuckerman, Feb 21, 2005.

1. tuckerman

tuckerman Junior Member

I'm looking to get a plow for a 2003 ford Ranger extended cab w/ 4 wheel drive. Am I crazy? I just want to use it for a few driveways, nothing commercial. I'm new to this and am just tired of shelling out 100 bucks every time it snows. Any suggestions as to what type of plow I should get would be greatly appreciated.
  2. cja1987

cja1987 PlowSite.com Addict

No your not crazy at all. Just you will shell out alot more then $100 for a plow. I would look into the Fisher LD series plows, Curtis 7' and Blizzard 720 LT. Heres a picture of the Blizzard 720 LT on a Ranger like yours.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2005
  3. tuckerman

tuckerman Junior Member

Thanks Chris
    I was just checking that one out, I sent for the literature, Any idea, ballpark, about what that may go for?
  4. cja1987

cja1987 PlowSite.com Addict

Around CT I would guess about $3400 installed. However if you wait until summer and your willing to take a little ride you can probley get one for around $2400-800 installed at Portsmouth Ford in Portsmouth, NH thats the cheapest Blizzard dealer around. Blizzards are the least expensive of everyone around here and their plows are of the same quality or better. With the Ranger, you will want to make sure you have an auxlillary transmission cooler and you may need to beef up the front end a little. The truck would be great for driveways.
  5. Up North

Up North Senior Member

Hey Tuckerman,
    You'd have a great little set-up with the Ranger. Personally I'd rather plow residential props with a rig like your's then my full sized truck. I have a Blizzard plow and can vouch for them, great plows. But like Chris said, there are plenty of options out there. In fact they are all good plows, big thing is dealer support and location, look for that before worrying about brand. Just my opinion. My dealer here sells the Blizzard 720LT for $2514 installed, prices do and will vary across the country. Good luck!

6. tuckerman

tuckerman Junior Member

Thanks up north and Chris for the price info. Kinda more than I was expecting but it probably is a pretty good investment. Don't mean to be a cheapskate or anything, but would anybody have a good source for used plows or maybe a cheaper brand? Just trying to exhaust all options. Thanks for all your help, what a cool site!!!

7. Up North

Up North Senior Member

There is another option out there that would run you around a $1000 or so, it's the Snowbear plow. Some guys like them, some shun them. Bottom line, it depends on what the intentions of the plow are and how much you're going to use it. Personally I don't have anything against them, IMO everything has it's place in life. I think Home Depot carries them under another name, can't think of the name at this time, but you can check there or try the Snowbear website if they have one, and see if they have a local dealer.

8. z71Worker

z71Worker Member

buddy of mine just put a snobear on his suburban.. I laughed at him and busted his chops for a few days.. then it snowed and i watched him plow his driveway.. I could have saved alot of $$...
  9. bugthug

bugthug Senior Member
    from Pa

their plows are of the same quality or better.

How can this be do they dip them in kriptonite?
  10. Up North

Up North Senior Member

I stopped in at Home Depot during lunch as I had a couple things I needed to pick up and looked at the one they have there, it's called the ProShovel. Orange in color. Do a search here on the site and you'll get more info on the Snowbear/ProShovel. Try to search Snowbear as they make the one for Home Depot I believe. And keep in mind that most of the members here are plowing commercially and some bash it pretty good since it's not a "commercial" plow. But for what you need and want, it could possibly fit the bill just fine. And you'll find some members that support this plow from as well. Again, everything has it's purpose and if used in that manner usually will work just fine.

11. dunedog

dunedog Senior Member

more than happy....

This winter ,I have been plowing three apartment houses, I own with a Snowbear on my Astro van. Got it at Lowe's.....
    It is without doubt the best money I have spent in years for snow removal.
    Somewhat like snowblowers,sometimes bigger,heavier duty isn't always what you need.
    I have a 10 HP 32" Ariens, a 6 HP Honda 2 stage and a 2 cyl Ariens paddle blower.
    Well that 2 cycle gets 95% of the use.It doesn't beat me up and is faster and easier to deal with.But back to the plow.......
    It is a manual angle, which is not that big a deal and at about 300 lbs.hanging off the front you won't need to do anything to your front end.Myself I didn't have many options with an Astro.
    A bit of advice ...start with your drive, think a little before you start going around the neighborhood. If you aren't aware of insurance issues,....there are plenty. That's another topic though....
    Regards, Jim
  12. tuckerman

tuckerman Junior Member

Thanks Buck And Jim,
    I did whatyou guys said and checked out the snow bear here on plowsite, I've been calling around all over and unfortunatelly nobody has one, Home Depot, Cosco, or BJ's. We got about 4-6" last night and they wish they did have them. I called Snow Bear Directly and they said that alot of their retailers had already shipped some back because of the warm temps. Bet they wished they hadn't now!
    Thanks for all of your help, think I'm gonna stick withthe snowbear

13. dunedog

dunedog Senior Member

Look up SMUSH under stuff for sale today .... he had one on ebay, but the sale may not have gone through. He's in Mt. Kisco NY.....
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2005
  14. szippijr

szippijr Member
    from S.E Pa

Don't mess around with that snowbear or blizzard trash. Get a boss sport duty. We put one in on our explorer and it works great. No lift chains, bright hid lights, and 10 second mounting. Built just like its big brothers. It weighs in at 400lbs. it will run u about 2600 complete with digital control. Do it right and don't buy all that other junk.
  15. What don't you like about the Blizzards? I was just about to put one on my '02 Ranger, but then this Sno-Way pretty much fell out of the sky. I am glad I stuck with the sno-way though. It's got the down pressure and it works really good.
  16. Drottlawn

Drottlawn Senior Member

Go Snowbear

I have a commercial western plow for my lots and a snowbear on a 2wd f-150 for driveways. The western tends to tear up the drives alot more than the snowbear does. I use my snowbear on 32 drives and still going. For the money it is not bad! I got mine used locally for $300. I made my own mount for the truck. The only weak thing about them for light duty use is their mounts. You might want to beef it up. I am not saying you have to, but be aware of it. I would just look locally for a used one and go from there. Again, these things are great for residential. Heck, in my first two years of commercial I used it on my lots until I made enough to get my 250 with a new western :redbounce . Good Luck!
  17. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

go with the curtis sport utility plow
  18. Stik208

Stik208 PlowSite.com Addict

I have the Curtis on my 99 Ranger. I have a couple of pictures on this site, if you go with this plow I would put a steel cutting edge on it i went with a Fisher cost $165 for the edge, new holes and install. Also I put a quick link and a heavier chain on so now i adjusted the chain to collapse the lift arm completely when in the float mode for easier on/off. I love the plow.

19. sixspeed

sixspeed Senior Member

Plow for Ranger

If you can go with a Curtis. Easy to mount, light enough for the truck and heavy duty enough to last... and like STIK208 says change the cutting edge and maybe have your dealer weld on mounts for shoes (even though half the plowers swear at them and the other half swear by them)...

Did you see if Meyer makes a 2 meter poly for that truck??? Some people hate them but they have the advantage of lots of dealerships and parts...

Too sad but Western doesn't make anything as sturdy as the Curtis or the little MEYERs anymore for trucks like the Ranger.

In my humble opinion go with a better quality plow cause once you start you'll be looking at doing lots more plowing!!! Good luck and happy plowing!
  20. tuckerman

tuckerman Junior Member

Wow, This site is unbeleivable!! Welll, I made a decision and obviously everyone isn't gonna be happy with it, But I found a used snow bear (with the help of you guys) and am gonna pick it up this weekend. Ordered the frame mount today, hopefully it will be here by then. But i just wanted to thank every one here for all of there help. I know I've learned alot in the past few days and am sure I still have to learn alot more. Hoefullly, by the beginning of next season I'll be getting somethin a little more substantial!!
    Thanks again