1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plow vs Pusher

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment' started by nliput, Oct 23, 2010.

1. nliput

nliput Member

I am trying to decide on what to buy for my skidsteer. What do you think is better a plow or a pusher. Thanks

2. rob_cook2001

rob_cook2001 2000 Club Member

Welcome to the site. What kind of plowing do you do? What kind of skid? This will help us help you lol.
    And where are you in Colorado?
    Robert

3. nliput

nliput Member

We plow large commercial sites about 300,000 to 500,000sqft. It would be going on a bobcat 853. Were out of southwest Littleton. Thanks

4. rob_cook2001

rob_cook2001 2000 Club Member

853, I am sure that is a single speed right?
    I would say a 8ft pusher would be your best bet. Going to be a little slow if it is a single speed but if you have it use it.
    Robert

5. snocrete

snocrete Banned

X's 2. Dedicated snow tires will greatly improve your production, but if working by the hour I wouldnt bother.

6. msu1510

msu1510 Senior Member
    from MI

we have a 10 ft pusher on our 873 and it works awsome. i dont know if your machine is the same hp or not but if you have less hp might want to consider the 8ft pusher. but i would deff go with the pusher.

7. buddy4781

buddy4781 Senior Member

I use the same machine with an 8' box and it works fine.

8. mrsnowman

mrsnowman Senior Member

I agree with msu1510

9. nepatsfan

nepatsfan Senior Member

Has anyone ever welded or bolted sides onto a power angle instead of using a conventional pusher and put it on the skid steer. I am having the same dilema with my cat 226. I have a snow bucket for it, looking for a plow or pusher.

10. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

I went with a 8ft BOSS plow and wing combo. I like the fact I can angle it like a plow if needed to get into tight spots. We're plowing a place where there is a lot of curbs, plus I figure if it became too heavy I can dump off to one side and keep plowing. That is my plan so far,lol, we'll see in about a month or so.

11. snocrete

snocrete Banned

If the ends stick straight out, its pretty much useless for windrowing.....wings need to be at a 20 or 30 degree angle to still windrow, but you loose carrying cap with this config.

For my situation, I like pushers for the fact they have less failure points as to anything with hydros...and you are moving more volume of snow on each pass.

12. nepatsfan

nepatsfan Senior Member

I was actually thinking of figuring a way of bolting them on so you could take them off if you were wanted or needed too. I guess the welding would make that useless though

13. snocrete

snocrete Banned

14. mrsnowman

mrsnowman Senior Member

We did the same thing with a boss xt last year, but I will tell you that I still prefer the pusher. Especially doing isles during the day.

15. bcbrouwer

bcbrouwer Member

nepatsfan, I did just that with my horst blade. I have a plow when I want and a pusher in less than 30 seconds by simply sliding the homemade endplates on 2 collars I welded on the blade and one pin through the side. cost less than $100 to make inclding steel for the plates, if you have a torch and welder. cutting edge is a 28 ply wheel loader tire. only regret is I didn't make them big enough, cause it will push quite a bit more still. but they make a huge difference. I went from plowing time of 7 hours to about 4 hours.

DSC05147.jpg

DSC05143.jpg

Last edited: Oct 25, 2010
  16. nliput

nliput Member

So most people prefer pushers, now protech or snowdogg? I have a bid for both and ther eis only a 100.00 difference. Thanks Again

17. cold_and_tired

cold_and_tired PlowSite.com Addict

I like my scoop dogg. They use thicker side plates. Some people think the attachment plate is sloppy but I don't have any issues with it.

I wish they made a dogg with a trip edge though. Protech has a better selection of pusher.

18. G&T LAWN

G&T LAWN Senior Member

If you have a liitle extra money check out Kage Innovations. Blade and a box you can tke on and off without gettng out of the cab. I bought one they are pretty sweet.

19. nepatsfan

nepatsfan Senior Member

sweet...that is what I am talking about