1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

plow vs car

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by ajslands, Dec 19, 2009.

plow vs car?

1. yes this happend to me and i won

2. no this never happed to me

3. i am a drunken idiot and a major lowballer

4. this almost happed to me

1. ajslands

ajslands 2000 Club Member

how many of you snow plowers have gotten in accidents with your plow truck or almost gotten in an accident? today i was driving off from a train and started fish-taling, and my plow almost took out a car door, so i was wondering if this happend to you or if you have come close? but then i switched to 4x4 and it works great =)
  2. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Sounds like you need some counterwieght
  3. jkiser96

jkiser96 Senior Member

Mine was a backing accident. I was backing up & had a lady cut in behind me. I had my 4 way flashers as well as my LED lightbar.
  4. ajslands

i have a 150 lb spreader in back but i was on my way to my contractor to pick up 1300lbs of rock salt
  5. ontario026

ontario026 Senior Member

I got clipped by a 'straight truck' that wandered over the yellow line a little over a week ago... Hit my SS extremeV. There are pics in a thread in the pics forum titled 'extremeV vs big truck'. I will link to them later, on my blackberry right now
  6. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

A few years ago I got hit in the drivers door and dump box, so I don't think it counts... she backed out of a parking spot without looking (how else could you miss a 12000lb truck with blue rotaries and a broken exhaust pipe? lol) and had the balls to say "Look what YOU did to my car!"

So in the case of Chrysler Sebring convertible vs. Dump Box, I'm happy to report that the dumpbox was undamaged, light crease in my door and cab corner, and one great big hole in her trunklid (from the corner of the dump box), wrinkled quarter, and busted taillight.... I'd say dump truck won! :D
  7. Bandit

Bandit Senior Member

Walmart Shopper or the total opposite A Soccer Mom ?
  8. LoneCowboy

LoneCowboy PlowSite.com Addict

I've almost killed a few paper boys.
    story 1. few years ago. Plowing a large L shaped lot that's not very well lit. I'm pushing away and the building is at the inside of the L and this was years ago when batteries weren't too good so would just plow with marker lights on, no head lights. I'm zinging down making a pass, come out from behind the building AT THE EXACT SAME TIME THE PAPER GUY comes around the building from the other side. We're both locking them out, skidding to a stop and watching each other's eyes get bigger and bigger. Stopped about 2' feet apart.

story 2.
    2 weeks ago, long narrow apartment driveway, easy to push to the back. The garages are at a 90 degree angle and there's a wall on the other side (and it's north side of the building, builds snow like nothing you've ever seen). 4am Push push push, ok, back up to under parking lot lamp (which is pretty bright) to fill out my paperwork. 1 minute to do that, throw it in gear, start backing up, wow, what's that light in my mirror, must be the parking lot light oh **** no that's a headlight arrrggggggggghhhhhhhhh stopppppppppppppp. he's throwing it in reverse at the same time. No damage, but might close.

DO NOT GET BEHIND PLOW TRUCKS. Should get a sign that says "can back up at any time, stay away, tired cold and grouchy plow guy at wheel"
  9. F250SD

F250SD Senior Member

Would be a nice sign, BUT we live and work around some of the DUMBEST Driver's in the world, 5 out of 10 would see the sign and have to pull up right behind us to read the whole thing.... my Sign LOOK OUT AS*HOL* :laughing:
  10. LoneCowboy

LoneCowboy PlowSite.com Addict

I would tell my wife these horror stories about how stupid the drivers were and she didn't believe me.
    Then 2 years ago we started using the tractor and she gets to drive it.
    and the very first storm she comes home and says "OMG, these people are so stupid..........."

I about died laughing.
  11. fernalddude

fernalddude PlowSite.com Addict

Well I have had my share of Idiots and mistakes with drivers. After 30 years of driving rigs in storms it still worries me every time we roll out. Had drivers back into each other (that sucks) but last year during a ice storm Iam driving one of the salters trying to get on the expressway a come around the on ramp to see a whole line of stopped cars with a bus at the front. Now the ramp is on a angle and the cars have moved off to the shoulder with the bus blocking the line of cars I might be going 3 miles a hour and the idiot stops in front of me and I have to stop then gravity takes over (8600 lbs truck 2400 lbs salt 700lbs plow plus all the other gear) my lateral move was not a welcome site for the cars on the shoulder. Took out two cars the plow with one and rear quarter panel with the other. Two screaming women at once the only good thing they stayed in there cars. :laughing: Chipped the paint on the plow and dented the quarter panel, plow hit the front car in the rear door area crushed that rice burner:gunsfiring: and the second took out the drivers door on the other. Just ripped the mirror off and it destroyed the door, another rice burner down :gunsfiring: I just was in for the ride but they all got paid from the insurance. The old saying ***** happens..

100_2384 (Medium).JPG

100_2385 (Medium).JPG
  12. redman6565

redman6565 PlowSite.com Addict

thats ok...a couple years ago, we had our backhoe plowing a small mom and pop grocery store. it was backing up and pushing into a pile and some chick drove right into the boom in the back. needless to say the car came to a complete stop. took her a while to realize what she had just done
  13. 2low4nh

2low4nh Member
    from NH

just went to an accident yesterday! jeep vs 3/4ton plow truck the jeep won. hit his plow and folded the thing almost in half. broke 2 pistons and snapped the trip edge. he was running to the parts store to have his truck ready for todays storm
  14. secret_weapon

secret_weapon Senior Member

Never happened yet but I had a close call (on purpose). Last year this guy turned right from the LEFT turn lane, on a RED light, apparently I wasn't turning quick enough for him, and went in front of me. I floored it to try and take out or rip off his doors, but unfortunately I was in 2wd and couldn't get going fast enough.
  15. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

You'll have to judge for yourself. Think of a 40ish woman, smoking like a chimney, and looking like a crackhead... foul mouth, tries to run until I wrote her plate down, threatens to sue... I'm thinking Walmart Shopper :laughing:
  16. andcon83

andcon83 Senior Member

Was driving up a dark section of road, 5am, some idiot out snowblowing his driveway wearing black with no reflectors or anything on. I know my plow was no more than 2' from his a**. I almost went back to see if I hit him.
  17. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

I've been hit before, while sitting still. I was hit by a township dump truck who was backing down a road and not looking. Hit my plow, bent my truck frame and plow A frame, broke on of my plow lights, put a scratch in my drivers side front fender, smashed my mirror and drivers door in. That was the first winter I had a plow on my truck, I never even got to use it before I was hit and it was damaged.

Not sure which poll option to pick, I definitely lost compared to the dump truck.

Notice how the top of the plow gets taller towards the drivers side and the headgear is crooked.
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2009
  18. ajslands

you from small town usa too?!! just like jason aldean i think or who ever sings that song. did he pay for reapirs
  19. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

Ya, eventually it was settled that he was at fault and had to pay. Originally I was blamed for being in the way and had to pay my insurance deductable and my insurance had to pay for the rest. About a year or so later and a whole lot of going back and forth I recieved my deductable back and a letter saying things had been straightened out.
  20. Green Grass

Green Grass PlowSite Fanatic

I T boned a city plow truck a couple years ago after he ran a stop light. He told the police officer he was allowed to do that cause he has warning lights. I laughed at him and told him I have them too. So the plow was totaled in the middle of a blizzard. Called dealer and had to go pick a new one up in the middle of the night.