1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plow vertical angle

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by robp, Jan 15, 2008.

1. robp

robp Junior Member

Newbie here.

Trying to mount Western Unimount on My CJ7 with a 4" lift kit.

Is there an adjustment for the angle? It looks like the plow blade is angled too far forward.

I have adapted the unimount so that it is lowered in the back and the front goes over the springs. I also tightened up the springs thinkin this would pull the top of the blade back, but it did not.

Any suggestions??
  2. old skool

old skool Senior Member
    from NW IL

Which angle you talking about? Because of the lift kit, your "A" frame might not be parrallel to the ground? Which forces the top of the plow too far forward. Not sure how to adust the plow stops on your Western, but Ive always run the top edgeof my Meyer plow about 4" ahead of the cutting edge.
  3. robp

robp Junior Member

plow angle

Thanks for your response. Yes I am talking about the top angle of the blade..I am glad to hear that the top of the blade should be tilted farther (over) the lower portion. I have never plowed snowed and inherited this plow with the jeep. Now trying to get it up and running.
  4. Dodge Plow Pwr

Dodge Plow Pwr Senior Member

If you tightened up the trip springs in ordeer to pull the plow top back, you will be in for one hell of a jolt should you hit say like a manhole or something that would normally trip the plow as it will not trip like it should if the springs are too tight. You need to make it back to factory to work properly so you don't get hurt or do damage to your Jeep.
    My 2 cents worth.
  5. Runner

Runner Senior Member

Western Plows generally are designed that way, like they are sloped over more for better rolling. As long as your wearbar (cutting edge) has a decent angle of attack. That is what matters.
  6. robp

robp Junior Member

Thanks for yoiur replies!!!

I appreciate your help.
  7. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

If your A frame is too out of level, when you angle the blade the leading edge will be in the air. I think you are going to have to modify the mount to get it to sit level.

Just my guess. My first Western I turned the torsion bars up and bought higher tires and my leading edge was in the air.
  8. GripTruk

GripTruk Senior Member

actually, i would say the TRAILING edge would be in the air when the blade is angled if the truck is sitting too high. I see your experience was the opposite, but I have a feeling yours was the exception rather than the rule.

In any event one of the edges will likely be off the ground if your A-frame is not very close to level, and as cet says, you may have to modify your frame mount in order for that to happen. I know the ultra mount plows have a little adjustment built in to them to allow for different truck heights, but I don't think the unimounts have that feature.

Tightening the trip springs only adjusts the trip tension, not the angle of the blade, the blade will sit on a stop when it is not tripped. You should loosen those back up so they are just tight enough to be able to just slide a piece of paper between 2 coils, as a general rule of thumb.

9. robp

robp Junior Member

A Frame tilt

Thanks everyone for your technical responses. I set the springs back to the correct position. The A frame is just slightly off. I lowered the rear mount brackets about 6" to accomodate for the 4" lift and the 35" tires.

The biggest problem I have now is adjusting the angle cable (what a btch!!). No matter what it is just finicky. I currently have the cable going throught the firewall of my CJ and then over the radiator and thru the grill to the 4 way valve. I have as much bend radius as I can allow considering.

I am going to recheck the spring in the joystick and that square thingy with the ground that the joystick attaches to for wear???