1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

plow vehicle question

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by plowwannab2003, Dec 1, 2003.

1. plowwannab2003

plowwannab2003 Member

I have a 2002 Ford F-250 5.4L extended cab with an 8 ft bed but theres one thing...its only a 4x2. would anyone recommend plowing with that type of vehicle? I would greatly appreciate some feedback
    Thnx - Steve-o

View attachment 1992explorer and 2002 f-250 002.jpg

2. Plow Meister

Plow Meister PlowSite.com Addict

You could probably fet away with putting a smaller 7 1/2 foot blade on it and a ton of balast in the bed. You will be limited as to how much snow you can push. If you have a lot of straight runs it will be o.k. Not for driveways or small parking lots though.

3. Foxfire

Foxfire Senior Member

2*4

4*4 All the way, 2*4 willNOT get the job done

4. Team_Yamaha

Team_Yamaha Senior Member

It can be done, I almost always plow in 2wd if the storm is less 6". You will have to run atleast 2,000 lbs in the bed at all times. I usually have about 5,000-7,000 lbs (including sander) in the rear of mine.

5. Hummerslawncare

Hummerslawncare Member
    from Mass.

2 wd ?

NO NO NO YOU NEED 4X4 IT IS ALMOST IMPOSABLE TO PLOW WITH 2 WD I KNOW THAT CLIFF TELLS U THIS ENOUGH NOW IM TELLING U AGAIN:drinkup:

6. Plow Meister

Plow Meister PlowSite.com Addict

Re: 2 wd ?

The spelling...
    Illiteracy at its finest!:rolleyes:

The message...
    Insolence at its very best:rolleyes:

7. vector6

vector6 Senior Member

the plowsite.com spelling police need a pay increase

:D

8. PARTSMGR

PARTSMGR Member

4x2

Ok. Here is the final word on this. 4x2 is ok to plow with for anything over a 1 ton vehicle. Most of the municipalities use 2 wheel drive trucks (FORD C7000 and such vehicles)to plow- they have large sanders in them and they weigh alot. This is the only feasible way to plow with 2wd. Some of the 1 ton trucks with the sanders can get away with 2WD. The regular trucks don't have enough weight in them to do this - and if you put the weight in them that is required to get ample traction- you'll break the rear end. The front wheels on a 4WD truck gives the vehicle alot of traction when in 4wd. So take this advice and purchase a 4WD.
    :nono:

9. The Boss

The Boss 2000 Club Member

Wouldn't even think about it!:eek:

10. 84deisel

84deisel Senior Member

One of my first plow trucks was a 76 Chevy c20 2wd. It would plow fine provided I put about 1500lbs in the back. Thinking about it even though the rear springs were made for the weight, I still ended up wearing tires and suspension out prematurely.Now I run all 4x4's but keep the truck in 2wd until the going gets tough.

11. easthavenplower

easthavenplower Senior Member

DO NOT RUN 2 WHEEL DRIVE i dont give a arats a$$ what any one else says your looking for problems.the truck is not made for a plow period.it will overheat.it will get stuck.it will break.get the point

12. plowwannab2003

plowwannab2003 Member

wow you people are really against plowing with 2 wheel drive. i got the point after the first three people. so thanx for the replys ...and yeah i do get the point jerk.(easthavenplower):realmad:

13. easthavenplower

jerk i wasnt talking bad about you i was simply trying to get my point to these other guys that say its ok.nothing against you i should have stated thatsorry

14. plowwannab2003

plowwannab2003 Member

sayin its alright to plow wit 2 wheel drive? cuz it said that i would break down...over heat...and it can't handle a plow period.yeah i did get the point. and i didn't get the plow

15. easthavenplower

no its bad to plow but these other guys will tell you its ok and rhat aggravates me for the reason that you didnt know and asked and they will steer you in the wrong direction its not the first time your better off not getting plow trust me again i wasnt talking bad to you so again i appologise for the confusion

16. plowwannab2003

plowwannab2003 Member

aight thanx for appoligizing and i didn't get the plow.

17. QMVA

QMVA Senior Member

18. Big Nate's Plowing

Big Nate's Plowing PlowSite.com Addict

why did you even bother to bring this back to the top?
    [​IMG]