1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

plow vehicle question

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by plowwannab2003, Dec 1, 2003.

1. plowwannab2003

plowwannab2003 Member

I have a 2002 Ford F-250 5.4L extended cab with an 8 ft bed but theres one thing...its only a 4x2. would anyone recommend plowing with that type of vehicle? I would greatly appreciate some feedback
    Thnx - Steve-o

View attachment 1992explorer and 2002 f-250 002.jpg
  2. bcf

bcf Senior Member

After reading all four of your posts with the same question, I guess I'll answer. I wouldn't try to plow without 4x4, but I suppose if you had a whole lotta weight in the back, with all 4 wheels chained, then you might not get stuck that much
  3. oldmankent

oldmankent PlowSite.com Addict

No, I wouldn't try it. You'll spend too much time digging out. It is definitely more of a headache than it is worth.
  4. jt5019

jt5019 Senior Member

If you put a lot of weight in the bed of the truck that will help with traction but really you should use a 4x4 vehical.I have a 4x4 f250 and find i need four wheel drive a lot while plowing.
  5. jakegypsum

jakegypsum Senior Member

It can be done. I did it for seven years. The only thing is that this particular truck was a back up plow. It was used during every storm but there were times where it had to work extra hard since it was only two-wheel drive.
    Like the above posting, you need to load down the rear with plenty of weight and keep it over & behind the rear axel. Having too much weight forward in the bed weighted the front axel down which is no good. Keeping the weight toward the back focused pressure on the rear axel for traction and kept the front axel as lite as possible.
    Keep in mind most of all larger trucks are two-wheel drive. City trucks, contractor dump trucks, etc.
    Bottom line, 4x4 is the way to go but plowing can be done with a two-wheel drive.
    Good luck. Jake