1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plow used to not angle right, now it angles right like a charm but not left, unless..

Discussion in 'Meyer / Diamond Products Discussion' started by WellDone, Jan 23, 2011.

1. WellDone

WellDone Junior Member

Hi guys, first post here. Aggravating problem here... I have an older 7.5' E47. Early in the season it started moving slow to the right when it hit the center position (then would move right only a little at a time when I tapped the right button - which then stopped all together.) I had replaced the c coil and valve, completely flushed the system, and replaced the couplers on the hose ends and the block. Put her all back together, hit the right button and WOW! Its moved to the right beautifully! Raised and lowered the plow a few times, went to hit left and... now the left is doing the same thing that it used to do to the right!:realmad: So I figured air and tried to bleed all of the air out... no luck. My next choice was the b coil which I replaced (I never tested magnetism prior to replacing because it worked before I cleaned out the unit). Still didn't work. When I took off the b coil the ball under it was stuck on the coil... So I checked magnetism, c coil yes, b no. Switched the coils the b coil on the c valve yes, the c coil on the b valve no... I have power @ the harness.... And then of course a snow storm,:cry: so I go out plow stuck to the right and make due with what I have. When pushed the snow all the sudden the blade swings to the left, I pick up the blade and I returns to center, if I put the snow on the left 1/2 of the plow it pushes it left while still being able to go right beautifully... So guys, Cross over valve? One of the new couplers bad (they were not Meyer parts but new hydraulic fitting matches)? I just don't want to keep putting in new parts mid season on a whim... could really use some input!

2. WellDone

WellDone Junior Member

Can someone PLEASE help me... we have a big storm coming Weds. which leaves me very little time!!!

3. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Before you go after the cross over, did you have the pilot piston and it's components disassembled during your cleaning process?

4. WellDone

WellDone Junior Member

Yes I did, that is actually one of the things that are confusing me... the ball, when I hit the angle left switch, gets stuck on the b valve... Did I not seat the spring properly or something?

5. WellDone

WellDone Junior Member

I'm sorry, no I didn't I had the spring and valve under the b valve out. I did not take out the pilot...

6. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Then that's where you want to check before getting into the Cross over. The piston is under the hex plug on top the valve block between the B and C coils. Remove the plug, and then directly below it on the underside of the valve block is another plug. Remove it, and under there will be a spring and ball. Make sure they're in there and in good shape and then push the pilot piston up out the top with a small pick or screw driver and check it's condition as well as the condition of the bore in the valve block. If the piston is tight and won't come out then that's at least partially contributing to your angle issue. Or if anything is missing....

If it all looks good, then go after the cross over.

7. WellDone

WellDone Junior Member

So I can access that piston from the bottom? I didn't realize that, I did remove the top hex but found that the valve was really tight so I didn't go any furthur... I will go fo that first thanks. So if I understand you correctly remove the top and bottom and and push up with a screwdriver from the bottom. Seems like a fair chance the valve may need to get replaced.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2011
  8. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

If it wouldn't come out rather easily then that's definitely causing an angle issue. They need to slide smoothly in their bore but often don't due to corrosion thus it will hold angle in one direction and move freely in the other.

Once you have the bottom plug, spring and ball removed use a small rod or something flat faced that will fit up though the hole where the ball seats and attempt to push it up out.You can gently tape on the rod but if it require much more than that then the valve block will never be right even with a new replacement piston.

9. WellDone

WellDone Junior Member

I will get that a shot. Thanks for the advice I appreciate it. I will give you an update when it's replaced. Thanks.