1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

plow use affects radio and truck lights

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by cardsfan, Jan 7, 2015.

1. cardsfan

cardsfan Junior Member

Fisher minute mount plow works but use affects the lights and radio lights -everything dims. Replaced truck battery (was told it was bad) same issue. Cleaned grounds. Recently added new Fish stik Any other thoughts? No snow yet here, but coming.

2. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Alternator been tested recently?

3. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

When the plow is cold it will effect the electrical system till it warms up.Ford?

4. cardsfan

cardsfan Junior Member

Replaced today and still same issue

5. cardsfan

cardsfan Junior Member

Yes to ford but it didn't do this last year

6. snowplower1

snowplower1 Senior Member

I heard someone saying they had this issue that when they started the truck ave it wad cold abs used the plow that the fans and radio would turn off and then i thought glad my new Ford doesn't do thay and the next day it did it...

7. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

Clean all the connections, bumper plugs, terminals at the battery and motor. Then do a draw test on the motor. May be getting old and pulling too many amps. Also what fluid are you using?

8. cardsfan

cardsfan Junior Member

fluid installed by plow dealer but will test motor thanks

9. cardsfan

cardsfan Junior Member

How do I draw test it? Volt meter? Fluid is right stuff installed by plow repair shop reputable

10. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

After ruling out the connections, it is either the pump or motor.

How old?

11. cardsfan

cardsfan Junior Member

probably the motor

truck and plow are 11 years old. Will test motor as I think another post agreed that was probably the issue.

12. weevensteven

weevensteven Junior Member

Try adding a heavy gauge ground wire from the engine block, to the body(like the firewall). Add an additional wire from the alternator to the battery, and run the negative pump motor wire to the engine block(not the battery). This has solved many "dimming" issues with me.