1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plow Upgrade - Need Help Chosing

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by green frog, Feb 15, 2008.

1. green frog

green frog Senior Member

I have a 1995 F250 with western 7.5 pro plow. I was looking just to get a 8.0 pro plow. This is what I plow 15 residential driveways and 3 commercial lots about 400ft x 100ft. It takes me 6 to 6.5 hrs for my run and looking to speed it up so I can take on more accounts. It takes so long because the route is 60 miles round trip so I need to fix that also. Dealer support is western 5 miles away, blizzard and boss about 25 miles away. What do you guys think?
  2. lilweeds

lilweeds PlowSite.com Addict

I know if I had my choice it would be the Blizzard 810 or the Western Wideout. The Wideout is still in its' first year, and although it is just as heavy, it doesn't look as stout as the Blizzard.
  3. Brant'sLawnCare

Brant'sLawnCare PlowSite.com Addict

There's probably not too much difference between a 7'6" plow and an 8 footer. If I were you, I would probably get either a 8'6" V, or a Wideout.
  4. abbert55

abbert55 Senior Member

Whatever you do, be sure to get wings on it as this will cut your time by almost half in most cases. If you're looking for a good all purpose unit with the simplicity of a straight blade, I would recommend the Blizzard Speed Wing. I've had great service from my 860 and it's ruggedly built. BTW Douglas Dynamics owns Western, Fisher and Blizzard. So they are all in the same church, just different pews.
    Good luck with whatever you choose, Al
  5. Plowin in VT

Plowin in VT Senior Member

I have an 8' w/Pro Wings on my F250, and wish I had something larger! If I had to do it all over again, I would have gotten a Blizzard 810.....
  6. linckeil

linckeil PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

I was in the same situation as you. i had a 7.5 pro plow on my 86 F250. when fully angled, one side of the truck would run the tires through unplowed snow. went to the 8 foot pro plow and that problem was eliminated. i do all residential so i have no need for wings. wings would be nice for your lots though. the 8.6 is overkill for a single rear wheel truck, and in some driveways, it'll prove to be more of a pain than anything else. but definetly make the jump to the 8 footer if you can.
  7. iceyman

iceyman 2000 Club Member

just get wings if you want a little bigger...:alien:
  8. plowman4life

plowman4life Senior Member

IMHO your wasting money upgrading from a 7.5 footer to an 8 footer. i would recomend doing a 8.5 foot MVP or wideout.

id also have to say go with western.

1) its the closest.
    2) i think they are better than the other 2.
    3) you will get the most trade value for your western if you get another western.
  9. Sno4U

Sno4U Senior Member

I AGREE 100%! I have both plows in my fleet rite now and used to have a 8ft Meyer straight blade on my previous Dodge; so I can tell ya w/ experience that just going to an 8ftr will help a little but if ya really want to see a production increase then go to the MVP or a Boss. Keep in mind the MVP has a trip edge which is alot better than the Boss full moldboard trip.
    The MVP IS a heavy plow (xtra hardware in a trip edge) but I tell ya that plow can really back drag well!
  10. apik1

apik1 Senior Member

Where in Buffalo are you? I live in Tonawanda, and there are boss and blizzard dealers within 5 miles of me.
  11. green frog

green frog Senior Member

I moved from west seneca to newstead in october. What dealers are you talking about?
  12. apik1

apik1 Senior Member

You are a way out there but there is a boss dealer on North French road in Amherst, and the Blizzard dealer is Bison turf, he also sells Snow Dogg, and Curtis. Where in Newsted? I bought 7 acres on Sand Hill Rd. a few years ago, and plan to build next year.
  13. green frog

green frog Senior Member

The next town past Claence. My mailing address is Akron.

CARDOCTOR PlowSite.com Addict

i would go with a set of wings. if you ever end up doing a property that has a drive thru
    bank ,fast food the 8ft doesnt fit. i have a 8ft meyer with wings sometimes i wish i had a 7.5

15. wmiller2311

wmiller2311 Junior Member

Fairview Excavating

I run a 9'2" boss v on an '04 f250 and have an 8' meyers on my backup plowtruck. It takes soooo much longer to plow with that 8' straight plow. I would step up to a v plow of any brand and you'll cut your plow time quite a bit. As far as the distance to a dealer, my boss dealer is 50 miles away so i keep the main wear items on hand in my shop like springs and oil. Find the brand plow that you are comfortable with and go for it.
  16. ABES

ABES PlowSite.com Addict
    from MN

get the biggest plow your truck can handle. i learned to plow with a 9.5 foot v plow and it sucks when i have to use a smaller plow.
  17. yamaguy

yamaguy Senior Member

Yea I couldn't see plowing with anything smaller than a 9 foot plow now. Even on driveways two swipes and I'm out!