1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plow up or down?

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by gonemowin, Dec 10, 2013.

1. gonemowin

gonemowin Junior Member
    from MN

Some of the old timers around here say to leave your plow up on nights when it is forecast to get really cold (sub zero). Apparently the theory is that its easier to move cold fluid thru the system by lowering the blade with gravity as opposed to the motor having to work harder to raise it initially when its cold. Anybody do this or have input on this idea?

2. JB1

JB1 Senior Member

Sorry, I have always been taught to lower any hydraulic equipment to the ground overnite.

3. born2farm

born2farm 2000 Club Member

Always lower

4. SnowFakers

SnowFakers Senior Member
    from CT

Might sound good for the plow, but sounds bad for the truck

5. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

On the ground

Doesn't matter to my plow I pull it out of a heated shop its ready to work

Back in the day we had to run pump heaters keep the fluid warm but the fluid I run today wasn't like the fluid then

Last edited: Dec 10, 2013
  6. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

Safety first, lower it.

7. Stove

Stove Member

on the pavement sir!wesport

8. tuney443

tuney443 PlowSite.com Addict

The moment you park,the plow should come down as should ANY hydraulic raised implements.Safety first before ANYTHING ELSE!

9. jmac5058

jmac5058 Senior Member

I doubt droping the plow one time warms the fluid much. Keep it down.

10. peteo1

peteo1 PlowSite.com Addict

Would you park a loader, excavator, etc with the bucket in the air? No you wouldn't or at least I'd hope you wouldn't. On the ground like everyone else has said.

11. jasonv

jasonv PlowSite.com Addict
    from kannada

I suspect that this is what some people will try to tell you to try to get you to make an ass of yourself. Basically, if your plow won't go up when you start, then if you drive somewhere and lower it, it won't go up THERE EITHER. Which means you'll be somewhere besides your shop/home/whatever where you keep your tools, with a plow that is stuck down and won't go up.

Going from down to up is a good test to make sure that the equipment is at least still somewhat functional. Leaving the plow up is bad on the hydraulics, bad on the truck suspension, and bad for any kids that might want to play around your truck -- which happens, plows are very interesting to kids. Sometimes, hydraulic valves can spontaneously release.

Edit: Another though... plows can and do freeze to the ground. I've had them get so frozen down that the lift pump does nothing except collapse the truck's suspension. Not a valid reason to leave it up though, since you just rock the truck against the plow gently with some lifting pressure, and it will always pop out.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2013
  12. Joejohn

Joejohn Junior Member

On the nights it gets really cold I leave it at the shop at work, if that's not possible and I take it home I have a couple pieces of 2x4 I set the plow on when its lowered so nothing freezes to the ground. Probably overkill but would rather be safe than sorry.

13. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Down. If you're running modern plow fluid, and it's not contaminated, you won't have any issues.
    Why?

14. blk90s13

blk90s13 PlowSite.com Addict

I leave mine down but the guys at the plow shop always say its harder to steal if its raised ;)

15. Dogplow Dodge

Dogplow Dodge PlowSite Veteran
    from NJ

I've heard the same exact thing over the years. Amazing how stuff just gets around...

One of the reasons I park my plow facing into something, that way if someone was going to steal it, they'd have to slide it out sideways...

Who's strong enough to pick up today's plows anyway ?

16. jasonv

jasonv PlowSite.com Addict
    from kannada

Hardest to steal is DOWN, with the chain taught (not slack). If its up, you can get a car jack under it easily to lift it and release the chain. Or if there's two guys, its a heck of a lot easier to grab the cutting edge of the plow if its already lifted.