1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plow up or down

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by birddseedd, Nov 28, 2012.

1. birddseedd

birddseedd PlowSite Veteran

I'm sure this is a very old topic. but its new to me.

i'f always thought its best to leave your plow down when you stop for a few minutes or more, to save wear on your ram and valve seals.

but i was thinking today, that adds more wear to your motor and pump.

which one is the way to go?

2. G.Landscape

G.Landscape Senior Member
    from Ontario

Drop it.....this isn't just about the plow, it taking the load off your truck too.

Unless by Ram you meant Dodge Ram....then you should just remove it completely....those things can barely hold themselves up

3. birddseedd

Good point. didnt think about that side of it. question answerd.

thanks

4. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

If your truck suspension cannot support the plow while parked for a few minutes its in no condition to be driven down the road with the blade in the air

5. potskie

potskie Senior Member
    from Ontario

So Don't have a plow on a RAM then?

6. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

Fords and Chevys crack frames holding plows yet guys have the gall to say Rams can't hold a plow, interesting.

7. Sawboy

Sawboy PlowSite.com Addict

I'm a "Ford guy", but like all trucks and realize they all have issues. BUT.....that was a funny ass remark!!!

8. Sawboy

Sawboy PlowSite.com Addict

Fat fingered the enter key......the comment by G Landscape!

9. G.Landscape

from Ontario

OK....it was a quick Ram jab....forget it.

My point is all trucks take stress from having an additional 1000+ lbs hanging off the front so why not remove that stress with every opportunity possible.

10. jmac5058

jmac5058 Senior Member

My old EZ-Vee said to short hook the chain between jobs and keep wieght off the ram. That didnt last long but there must be something about leaving the ram under load.

11. plowguy43

Damn you were supposed to start a brand bashing argument. How else are we to pass the time till it snows?

12. G.Landscape

from Ontario

Its a safety thing too, rams will generally loose pressure over time causing the plow to fall. Usually a slow process, probably a couple hours on an older plow for it to drop.

But what happens when someone walks by the plow and the ram gives out and drops on their toes.....HELLO Lawsuit!

13. shovelracer

shovelracer Senior Member

As mentioned drop it for safety. Something gives out either by natural causes or intentional and injury results you will have problems. Yes if someone goes to screw with your plow and gets hurt doing it they have every right to sue you. There is a fair chance that they would win and you or your carrier would have to pay out. No garbage about I would beat them, or make them sorry, this is the world we live in and that is the cold hard truth. If nothing else it makes it less likely to be damaged or cause damage to another vehicle should they hit it while parking. Seen that happen too.

14. birddseedd

well. i think the issue is what wear itl have over time. I would rather lower my plow vs replace my torsion bars 5 years from now.

yes i said torsion bars.

the lawsuite idea is a good reason to lower it, if something does decide to go weird id rather not get sued.

15. birddseedd

we could argue about if my torsion bars will hold up a plow or not.

or i could tell you about my trailer and the huge modification i did to the frame... :eek: watching it all hit the fan and splatter...

16. plowguy43

Yes they will, my Dakota had torsion bars and held a Fisher MM1 7'6" plow without an issue.

17. birddseedd

mine sinks down quite a bit. i want to get new keys for it. gotta see what happens with this mortgage first.

18. peteo1

peteo1 PlowSite.com Addict

How long have you plowed with that truck? I have the same thing and mine only squats about 2" with the plow up. I should mention I run a Fisher 7'6" hd plow and I take it off every time I'm done. Obviously if snow stays in the forecast I leave it on but I don't feel the need to waste gas and wear out my truck just to look cool with my plow on like some guys do.

19. birddseedd

this will be my 3rd year. new keys arnt neccessary. but the extra 2 inches would reduce hitting the blade on pavement during things.

20. terrapro

terrapro PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

Drop it for liability reasons but give it a bump up so it makes it that much harder to steal, just enough to give it some tension. It only takes a few minutes for a couple guys to pull a plow.