1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

plow up = engine temp follows

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by BrooklynJim, Jan 4, 2009.

1. BrooklynJim

BrooklynJim Junior Member
    from NY

what are you guys using to keep engine temps down when the plow is up?

im running a western pro 9 footer on a diesel GMC dually

2. Turbodiesel

Turbodiesel Senior Member

Keep your blade low for starters . Watch the amount of highway miles with blade on .
    You may have a thermostat or some sort of cooling issue. Comb your cooling system

3. BrooklynJim

BrooklynJim Junior Member
    from NY

cooling system is good to go, but i cant avoid the highway miles, some accounts are miles from each other, time consuming to go local, i have to ride with the blade scraping the ground when i hit a bump or dip in the road, about 4-6 inches from the ground..

anyone try those plexiglass sheet looking things that bolt to the lift arm? i can just picture one of those breaking off and flying into the windsheild

anyone have any experiece with them?

4. Scott13136

Scott13136 Member

My temp is better if i angle my bade, 97 k2500 burban, 8.5 hiniker straight

5. CityGuy

CityGuy PlowSite Fanatic

Keep plow low to ground and also angled as much as possible full right works best for me.

6. Turbodiesel

Turbodiesel Senior Member

what he said

7. bersh

bersh Senior Member

Do you have the HD fan clutch installed? If not, that will solve your problem. I can drive at 65 mph all day long with the plow in any position and not have to worry about temps.

Do a search and you'll find all the info you need.

8. tattooedplower

tattooedplower Member

I added an electric fan to mine and it helps a ton. I wired to a switch at first but I seem to forget to turn it on until it's to late, so now it is on a thermostat and all is good.

9. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

It probably won't work, especially with a 9' blade. I know of plenty that still get hot with the HD clutch.

The elec. fan kits are sweet. Especially if you get one designed for your truck. They come as duals, shroud and all. They run around $1k installed though.

10. tattooedplower

tattooedplower Member

I did a single one myself and I have about $100 into it and a couple hours.

11. naturalgreen

naturalgreen Senior Member

i built a wind foil for the top of blade to keep temp down
    scaled down cheapy version
    made it to my needs

12-23-08 012.jpg

12. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

Wow, you have way too much time on your hands. :rolleyes:

13. naturalgreen

naturalgreen Senior Member

do some serious highway and sometimes it isnt real cold
    took me about an hour to make
    painting took longer
    really keeps air circ back there
    prob 30 bucks total
    had everything layinng around though

14. Sno Biz

Sno Biz Member
    from Chicago

I too have highway mile...I find when you angle the plow, you also have to take into consideration which way the wind is blowing. if your over heating with it angled left, try turning it right.

15. Scott13136

Scott13136 Member

up/down does not seem to matter. Only thing I can do is full angle. Not sure what fan I have, but this has been a problem on both trucks the plow has been on. First truck had a history of running cold untill I bought the plow.

Those of you that are runing electric fans, are you replaceing the stock fan or adding electric?

16. Doom & Gloom

Doom & Gloom Senior Member

They sell the dual fan replacement at Summit Racing # FLX-284. 6000 CFM lots of air, its for the 6.0 gas. Should give you more power and MPG without the high drag clutch fan. The kits $549.95

17. RichG53

RichG53 PlowSite.com Addict

BOY !!! That's a lot of $$$$$$$$$$

18. millsaps118

millsaps118 Senior Member

U might have already checked but I would suggest making sure your radiator is free from debris packing into the tiny little cooling fins. Spray it down really good and get it as clean as possible.
    I had the same problem with my '97 K1500, once I cleaned the radiator it made a huge difference. I still couldn't travel with the blade all the way up without heating up so I just kept it about 3"-4" off the ground.

19. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

you need to replace the factory hd clutch in the truck with an aftermarket one. i have had 7 chevys and they all do this. $65 and about a half hour of work and you are set. this will fix the problem right away. good luck

20. bersh

bersh Senior Member

What difference does the length of the plow make in whether the truck overheats or not?

GM updated the HD fan clutch, and the overwhelming consensus on this board and others is that the updated fan clutch works. I installed the new fan clutch a year ago and ever since I haven't had an issue with overheating. I recently made a 100 mile round trip with my plow on, traveled at 65 mph for much of it (long story), and never once did the truck get any hotter than normal, though admittedly the trans temp was warmer than normal, it never got above 150°. The plow was straight and all the way up for the entire trip.