1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plow Undercarriage Getting Hung Up

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by MHCRRA16, Nov 28, 2014.

1. MHCRRA16

MHCRRA16 Junior Member

Hi all,
    Been a fan of this site for a long time now....have a question/problem looking for some input on.
    Have a F350 diesel lifted with a Boss 9.2' Power V plow. Have plowed my whole life with many different trucks.....and no matter what size/type of truck I have, I always seem to have the same problem.....whenever I get stuck it's NOT because of the truck tires, truck height, etc. it's ALWAYS because the plow frame/undercarriage gets hung up on the banks etc. My newest truck is lifted 8" and can clear pretty much any snow bank, but the plow undercarriage is still the lowest point on the truck and is only about 12" off the ground. Has anyone ever come up with a way to raise the frame without messing up the plowing angle and so forth? There has to be someone out there who can come up with a neat idea for that???

Or is this just one of the draw backs to plowing with a truck?
    Any thoughts/input would be interesting to hear.
  2. seville009

seville009 Senior Member
    from CNY

I think you'll always risk getting hung up in snowbanks that you're driving into/over, no matter how high the truck is. When I'm stacking (2006 F350, Western MVP 8.5' with wings), I always stay aware of how far in I am with the front of the truck. I've been hung up only once luckily; once qas enough.
  3. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Can't raise the mount without changing the plow mounts. Which might change the strength.
  4. framer1901

framer1901 Senior Member

Stop driving so far up the banks and you'll stop getting hung up.

1) It's a truck, not a loader or tractor.
    2) You don't get paid more based on pile height.
    3) You do get paid more to haul or stack snow with a tractor/loader.

Use the right tool for the right job, your tool will last longer and you'll be way more productive.
  5. tbi

tbi Member
    from CNY

Stop cowboying and bucking the banks.
  6. Rc2505

Rc2505 PlowSite.com Addict

Maybe because I know the limits of my trucks, but I have never pulled so far into, or onto a pile that caused me to get stuck. I have loaders for that. However I still get my pile 7 feet high with the truck.
  7. ALC-GregH

ALC-GregH PlowSite.com Addict
    from pa

I say trade the redneck truck in and get a huge rubber tire loader. Or don't try to drive over piles of snow.

Raising the frame without changing the plow angle is a physically impossible feat.
  8. watatrp

watatrp Senior Member

I agree, don't drive so far into the pile that you get hung up. When I plow, I'm always thinking about the next snow and where I'm going to push it.