1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plow Type help!!

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by mossyoak2115, Oct 28, 2013.

1. mossyoak2115

mossyoak2115 Junior Member

I purchased this plow from craigslist as is and the guy told me it was an older style Western, did western ever make a yellow plow? If so, can anyone tell me what model it is and what type of pump and what not I would need to get. I have a 1996 dodge ram 1500 that I am putting it on so what type of mount would I need to find? I really appreciate the help. I will try and attach pictures so you can see it.

plow.jpg

plow 2.jpg

2. TGS Inc.

TGS Inc. Senior Member
    from Detroit

That is an older style Meijer plow.

3. mossyoak2115

So how do I find out what pump and whatever else I need for it?

4. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Yep that's an old Meyer. Ummmm you need truckside everything. That would be what is called a conventional plow. Truckside always stays on with the pump

5. Pushin 2 Please

Pushin 2 Please PlowSite Veteran

3 trip springs, those ribs, and the shoe pockets are telling me it is old western. I'm guessing it was painted yellow.

6. mossyoak2115

So where would I begin? Where would I find a mount for my truck that would fit it as well as all the other stuff...? So far this plow and the truck is all I have so I guess I'm just looking for a little guidance as to where to begin.. Thanks

7. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

EBay. Craig's. Your gunna have a hard time with a mount. That's a narrow a-frame. Not sure if anyone makes a mount for it for such a new tk

8. KLC99

KLC99 Senior Member

That's an old western conventional mount. If you can't find a western setup just grab a Meyer Classic mount and have a welder move the tabs out on the a-frame so it fits. Anything old from Meyer, western, diamond, fisher, even early boss will work.

9. Yardvarkman

Yardvarkman Member
    from NE Ohio

In my opinion. Find a meyer Classic mount ( has the tube style hoop for the pump and lift arm) for your truck. Then have a welder custom fit the plow to the mount. I have a 2005 f250 with a mount from a dodge I cut and welded to fit my truck. There really isn't anything special about a plow. All that really matters is the A frame is close to level when in the float position.

image.jpg

10. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Thats an old Western blade

IMO look for a complete unit, by the time you buy lights, pump, harnesses, controller, replace the angle rams, modify the Aframe and do something about a mount you will have enough involved to pay for a complete used unit.

Anymore those blades are modified for tractor/SS or are sold for scrap metal.

11. linckeil

linckeil PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

definetly an older western blade. 1970's/very early 1980's.

as mentioned, if you are looking to outfit a 1996 truck, find a complete setup all designed to work together instead of cobbling it together piece by piece with mismatched parts from different manufactures. not that you can't do it, but it will likely be more expensive and much more time consuming than finding a complete setup.